The Grass Isn't Alway Greener

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I wonder if mine will lose all interest in other positions when she starts pitching. She just loves to play, period, for now.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I know a number of 18U pitchers that only pitch. Heck some of them don't even hit which always puzzled me. Why were they willing to sit in the dugout so much of the time?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2014
Kansas City
This was a question for us this year. Last year's team wasn't working out, so did tryouts. Landed DD on a team where she lands in the middle of a 3 pitcher rotation. The team is a step up as far as skill level of players and coaching, but what sold us (in addition to the great coaches) was the pitching strategy. All pitchers get their pool game, then depending on how they look on Saturday coach will choose who he will start in Sunday games. Coach doesn't have a pitching daughter, and we watched the team during the season, so know that he is telling the truth when he laid out his pitching plan.

I agree with others, play on the best team where you will actually get playing time. Being a 4th pitcher, or junk ball pitcher, will mean very limited mound time.

Jun 12, 2015
This was a question for us this year. Last year's team wasn't working out, so did tryouts. Landed DD on a team where she lands in the middle of a 3 pitcher rotation. The team is a step up as far as skill level of players and coaching, but what sold us (in addition to the great coaches) was the pitching strategy. All pitchers get their pool game, then depending on how they look on Saturday coach will choose who he will start in Sunday games. Coach doesn't have a pitching daughter, and we watched the team during the season, so know that he is telling the truth when he laid out his pitching plan.

I agree with others, play on the best team where you will actually get playing time. Being a 4th pitcher, or junk ball pitcher, will mean very limited mound time.

I like that. I wonder if that's how our coach will approach it. His daughter isn't a pitcher either, and we have 3 who are solid. Makes a lot of sense to see who's on fire in a pool game, give the important games to that person. Everybody has good days and bad days.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Beware any coach who gives credence to little Sally's parents when they say "she isn't a morning pitcher" you should have Susie pitch those. You'll lose a lot of games with a coach and pitchers who think like that. Especially if you buy into the whoever looked good Saturday will look just as good Sunday thought process.

Most girls pitch lousy in the morning because they are not sufficiently warmed up physically, mentally, and emotionally. If you want to find a good team for your child, find the team with great dynamic warm-ups. Not just pitching but all the way around. That shows a staff who has educated themselves on ingredients to playing at a top level and the kids will be used to executing at that level.

If your kid benefits from getting up earlier to throw/loosen up / burn off nerves prior to arriving for team warm-ups, do it. And most kids do benefit, whether they want to put out the extra effort or not. You'll have plenty of pillow time after she has moved out. And don't be surprised when she starts getting the big games.

Jun 7, 2013
I will throw one caveat into this whole team choice for a pitcher dilemma. This past year both my pitching DDs were the best pitcher on their respective teams. My older DD played on a very competitive 16U A team while my younger DD played on a higher level 14U B team. My concerns for both of them was trying to ensure that they weren't being over pitched. They were often the difference between a W and a L for their teams and their competitive coaches often couldn't think beyond the next game and, certainly, not about my DDs long term pitching health. Because of this I am glad when they get on teams that have a solid number two pitcher so they are not over used and get a chance to play a position and focus on hitting for some of the games.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How about being a pitcher on a team that plays all comers but has no defense? That is how you teach a kid to pitch �� "you want an out? You got three choices, K, weak grounder or a popup- get to it Suzy and remember anything even reasonably well hit is at least a double"

Worked for my DD. She had a more fun pitching when she had a good defense. But, if the defense wasn't so hot, so what? The challenge was still there: How do I get *this* batter out?

And, how about the converse? If a kid has a great defense behind her, do you think she is going to learn how to pitch? If it doesn't matter how hard the other team hits the ball, then it doesn't matter what the pitcher throws.

The pitcher always has to overcome errors and poor fielders. It is part of the job description. (That is why I hate parents whining about the defense "not backing up" their DDs. Kind of like taking a job at McDonalds and complaining because you sell hamburgers.)

Why were they willing to sit in the dugout so much of the time?

Are you serious? They sit there because they want to pitch. It is that much fun for them.

They understand that the coach thinks s/he needs another pitcher (even though every good softball pitcher would dispute the need for the "other" pitcher).

My DD#1 (D1 all-conference) loved to pitch. The rest of the game? She could take or leave it. Playing 1B was OK, hitting was fun. But, she wouldn't work 90 minutes a day, 4 days a week, 40 weeks a year just to play 1B and hit.

Cat Osterman and Monica Abbott are the same way.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2015
Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for the perspective. Our DD moves up to 12u and the last few years has been the #1 pitcher. We had two options this coming year, to be a #1 pitcher on a team that struggles, or be on a better team but be the #2 pitcher. We chose the latter and are looking forward to a) having our DD to compete for pitching time, b) getting some playing time at other positions, c) fewer innings on her arm and d) knowing she is not going to have to carry the team.

Nov 15, 2013
This is the craziest thing I've read in a while. I'm stunned.

a) Pitchers are *NOT* playing the same game as the rest of the team. Some pitchers probably don't even *LIKE* playing a position other than pitching. A kid wants to be a pitcher has to learn how to play the pitching game. Therefore, she has to find a team where her skills *AS A PITCHER* allow her to pitch a lot.
b) If a kid wants to pitch, it doesn't matter how well she drop steps or circles the ball, or how quickly she gets the ball out of her glove on grounder. It doesn't matter if she catches with two hands. It doesn't matter if she hits .750. None of the stuff will get the pitcher one more inning on the mound. Why? Because it doesn't help her do her job. And, if a kid wants to pitch, circle time is *EVERYTHING*.
c) Good pitchers want to pitch. That is what they live for. They don't want to play SS, CF or C...they want to be in the circle striking people out.
d) To learn how to pitch, they have to get circle time.

Just saw this post, Sluggers, sorry for the delayed response. I must not have mentioned her age. She was 11 this past year. She can't pitch every game, and I wouldn't want her to. She doesn't want to sit the bench when she isn't pitching, and she's one of the best fielders/bats on the team. Things may be different at 15, but her team needed her to play this year when she wasn't pitching.

Also, I thought your post was nuts too. So we're even. :D

Jun 16, 2015
OP, you described DD's "travel" team last year to a T. Were we on the same team?! We struggled all season and it was beyond frustrating for us as parents. We just made the move to a 14U B team where DD would be #2 or #3 pitcher - frankly I don't care where she falls in the pitching order, we are just grateful to have her play with girls with a strong work ethic, desire to play, and a tough coach who's going to demand 110% and expects his players to be accountable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles