That one bad inning!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
They need to be able to do this without the thought or worry of being benched.

So, how about pitchers? How is it that they can be pulled (in the middle of an inning no less--"Oh, the horror!"), and somehow survive?

And, somehow, basketball players on travel teams get pulled all the time in the middle of a game for throwing the ball away, and yet they also survive.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
We are a new 12u team,having played 4 tournaments this fall, practiced together since August. During practice we have minimal errors, play fairly aggresive ball, Here's the delimma: Tounament time we will start out strong, mid game we have a what I call the "bad inning" where we fall apart in nearly every game, numerous errors fielding and throwing then after we finally get out of that inning we pull it back together and play like we should and finish strong but we have usually blown the game in the bad inning. What can we do to avoid the "bad inning" all together? As coaches we are at our witts end as to what else to do.
Thanks

I like the philosophy of mysoftballcoach.com: "get the easy outs!". If you get a chance, look at the 12u, 10U articles on defensive strategies. The author argues that playing aggresively on defense (i.e. trying to get the lead baserunner, etc.) opens your team up for a big inning by the opposing team and in general your defense needs to play it safe and make the easy outs. Play offense aggresively, but play defense very conservatively.

Jan 13, 2011
There are so many factors that can affect "the one bad inning" situation other than it is so common. I prefer to introduce the 'pressure situation' in practice. For example, finishing practice/or water break, with each player making 3 successive plays such as fielding and throwing to first. One error and they start over. No corrections, explanations needed at this time. You can gradually step up the pressure and team responsibility (adding more than one player to the drill where all the players involved have to execute to finish or rotate positions). Example: hit to SS who throws to 1st throws to 2nd throws to 3rd throws home. One error-free round to home and they rotate with 3rd base 'finishing' (water or end of practice). Continue until everyone has finished 4 successful rotations. Do not be afraid that they can not handle it. They may have a rough start and the first few times practice might run a little longer than expected. But once they know you are serious, they will start raising the bar and know they need to concentrate and perform to go home. This approach can be applied to almost any drill and teaches the players how to deal with anxiety. Some are better than others but they all need to help and support each other.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Thanks Ray, I see what your saying, maybe I'm not as tough on them as I should be? Maybe I've neen a little to soft on them since this was a new team and should toughen it up when the holidays are over.
Thanks, 1999Coach

When practices are too easy, without consequences the girls are never made to perform under pressure. Then we put them in game situations and expect them to perform in an atmosphere we have never put them in. Not to say we have to be mean, but we have to insist that they meet a certain expectation. Apply some pressure to them during practice and they will be used to it come game time.

edit: I see jerseyman beat me to the idea of pressure in practice

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
My bottom line recommendation is really break down the game and understand the root causes for the problems. And then practice practice practice those situations. This will involve a good deal of talking and explaining as well as executing the situation.

Nice post. Is it mental errors, lacking fundamentals, etc. that cause the "wheels to come off"? Is it made worse by the pressure of the situation (e.g. bases loaded)?

Also don't forget offense: if your team scores some more runs they might be able to survive a bad inning on defense and still win the game.

Feb 6, 2009
Good post.... Lot's of good insight.
My thoughts:
I just took over a very good U14 team. My DD had been on it 3 years ago and we left and we're back now. They underperformed during that period of time. It quickly became apparent that I, as manager, had to be the "bad cop" in my group of coaches. That's not a constant thing but when we need it, I'm not afraid to be the guy. Someone has to be able to take charge when needed. Sounds easy but I've seen teams with 3 good cops. That might work for a while but you will hit a wall.

To me "practice as you play" is important. Everything at practice should be played as if it were a game. No giving up on a play because it's practice. Everyone will make a mistake from time to time. But watch at practice and take note of when it becomes lack of focus. If you are warming up and the ball is flying all over the place, correct it. Make sure they understand accurate strong throws are important and make sure there are consequences if you don't see them strong accurate throws as an example. Make sure they hustle at practice as if it were a game. Warm ups should be a regimanted routine, not a social event. Etc, etc....Up here in the North, everyone is playing indoor tournaments all winter. We opted to do one play date in February and thats it. To me, practicing and making my team a TEAM is more important now than playing some indoor dome tournament.

Differentiate between mental mistakes and physical errors. If, as a coach, you instruct your team well at practice and at the games and the errors are mental ones, you need to act quickly. We had a tournament recently over the fall in NJ. We were up by a few runs and we were taking advantage of the other team's OF missing the cut (at least 3 times). We got in a situation where they had a runner on third. I had already told my team that we wanted the out at first. Conceeded the run. My DD, the pitcher, got a weak grounder and promptly threw home. Missed the out. I sure as hell addressed it. I yelled to the entire infield that I told them the out was at first. I made sure that they all now understood what I said and told then I wanted an aknowledgement that they understood it. Mental mistakes need to be fixed and fixed fast.

Later in same game up by a few runs, they had a runner on second and two outs. Single to CF and I yelled 2nd base as loud as I could again conceeding a run. CF threw home, missed cut. Merry-go-round. We got out of inning still winning. CF comes in and I ask her what she's doing. She has no answer. Says she didn't hear me yell second. Also had no answer for the lolipop throw over the catcher. I made sure she understood, her job is to know what she might do before the play. Also let her know that she needs to listen for coaches instructions. That she didn't hear me was not a good exscuse. Pay attention. Since that day, we have worked on one hop line drive throws from OF to home every week at practice. I will not have teams run on us because we throw the ball over the cut. We are also making a called play that dictates where the OF goes with ball before the play starts. I watched a U14 indoor tournament this last weekend and every throw from OF missed the cut. EVERY single throw. We won the tournament above against some very good competition and altough they might have thought I was a little crazy for a while, it was all forgotten once we hit the podium and got the trophies.

Physical errors are different. You can't bench someone for throwing a ball over the first baseman once. But if it becomes chronic you have to fix it either by a benching or change of positions. That's up to the coach. I always tell my girls they will never hear me yell about an error. But I will promptly take care of a mental mistake (by benching if necessary). As a coach, if you determine that you have the right girls in the right positions, you need to continue to work with them at practice to ensure strong accurate throws. Make sure they are focused and "practice as you play". If they are doing it well at practice, it should carry over to games. But if the practice is laid back and full of bad throws and mistakes, that's what you will get.

Pitching is no different. I have one girl who has all the tools but can't put the ball where I want it. And then, when things go wrong, she gets down visibly. This is an issue, at U14, that should have been corrected long ago. We have two issues. Accuracy, which I told them I would help with. We'll work after practice. She's afraid to go inside. We're working on getting her past that. But the other issue is a mental one. She gets down and acts as if she wants out of the game. I've told her that's not acceptable. When a pitcher takes the mound they have to want the ball. If she's going to give up, it's time to stop pitching. She now knows where she stands and what I expect.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good post.... Lot's of good insight.
My thoughts:
I just took over a very good U14 team. My DD had been on it 3 years ago and we left and we're back now. They underperformed during that period of time. It quickly became apparent that I, as manager, had to be the "bad cop" in my group of coaches. That's not a constant thing but when we need it, I'm not afraid to be the guy. Someone has to be able to take charge when needed. Sounds easy but I've seen teams with 3 good cops. That might work for a while but you will hit a wall.

To me "practice as you play" is important. Everything at practice should be played as if it were a game. No giving up on a play because it's practice. Everyone will make a mistake from time to time. But watch at practice and take note of when it becomes lack of focus. If you are warming up and the ball is flying all over the place, correct it. Make sure they understand accurate strong throws are important and make sure there are consequences if you don't see them strong accurate throws as an example. Make sure they hustle at practice as if it were a game. Warm ups should be a regimanted routine, not a social event. Etc, etc....Up here in the North, everyone is playing indoor tournaments all winter. We opted to do one play date in February and thats it. To me, practicing and making my team a TEAM is more important now than playing some indoor dome tournament.

Differentiate between mental mistakes and physical errors. If, as a coach, you instruct your team well at practice and at the games and the errors are mental ones, you need to act quickly. We had a tournament recently over the fall in NJ. We were up by a few runs and we were taking advantage of the other team's OF missing the cut (at least 3 times). We got in a situation where they had a runner on third. I had already told my team that we wanted the out at first. Conceeded the run. My DD, the pitcher, got a weak grounder and promptly threw home. Missed the out. I sure as hell addressed it. I yelled to the entire infield that I told them the out was at first. I made sure that they all now understood what I said and told then I wanted an aknowledgement that they understood it. Mental mistakes need to be fixed and fixed fast.

Later in same game up by a few runs, they had a runner on second and two outs. Single to CF and I yelled 2nd base as loud as I could again conceeding a run. CF threw home, missed cut. Merry-go-round. We got out of inning still winning. CF comes in and I ask her what she's doing. She has no answer. Says she didn't hear me yell second. Also had no answer for the lolipop throw over the catcher. I made sure she understood, her job is to know what she might do before the play. Also let her know that she needs to listen for coaches instructions. That she didn't hear me was not a good exscuse. Pay attention. Since that day, we have worked on one hop line drive throws from OF to home every week at practice. I will not have teams run on us because we throw the ball over the cut. We are also making a called play that dictates where the OF goes with ball before the play starts. I watched a U14 indoor tournament this last weekend and every throw from OF missed the cut. EVERY single throw. We won the tournament above against some very good competition and altough they might have thought I was a little crazy for a while, it was all forgotten once we hit the podium and got the trophies.

Physical errors are different. You can't bench someone for throwing a ball over the first baseman once. But if it becomes chronic you have to fix it either by a benching or change of positions. That's up to the coach. I always tell my girls they will never hear me yell about an error. But I will promptly take care of a mental mistake (by benching if necessary). As a coach, if you determine that you have the right girls in the right positions, you need to continue to work with them at practice to ensure strong accurate throws. Make sure they are focused and "practice as you play". If they are doing it well at practice, it should carry over to games. But if the practice is laid back and full of bad throws and mistakes, that's what you will get.

Pitching is no different. I have one girl who has all the tools but can't put the ball where I want it. And then, when things go wrong, she gets down visibly. This is an issue, at U14, that should have been corrected long ago. We have two issues. Accuracy, which I told them I would help with. We'll work after practice. She's afraid to go inside. We're working on getting her past that. But the other issue is a mental one. She gets down and acts as if she wants out of the game. I've told her that's not acceptable. When a pitcher takes the mound they have to want the ball. If she's going to give up, it's time to stop pitching. She now knows where she stands and what I expect.

Slug, agreed that a bad cop can be necessary if you want to "practice like you want to play, and play like you practice". However, IMO, other than 1B/3B base coaching, coaches should not be "coaching" once the ball is in play. By 14U you should be letting your players know how you want to handle a situation during dead ball time between pitches, but letting them handle it during play. If they know what they're going to do w/ the ball if it comes to them before the play, a coach calling out the play is a potential distraction - if they're consistently not making the right play, it means you're not spending enough time on it in practice.

Feb 6, 2009
Slug, agreed that a bad cop can be necessary if you want to "practice like you want to play, and play like you practice". However, IMO, other than 1B/3B base coaching, coaches should not be "coaching" once the ball is in play. By 14U you should be letting your players know how you want to handle a situation during dead ball time between pitches, but letting them handle it during play. If they know what they're going to do w/ the ball if it comes to them before the play, a coach calling out the play is a potential distraction - if they're consistently not making the right play, it means you're not spending enough time on it in practice.

Agreed... The team had only been together a month at that point so we were not yet where we needed to be. In retrospect I wish I told her before hand. In reality, a coach should not have to yell second base on a ball to the OF at any point because if the OF throws to the cut, the girl on 1st won't advance anyway. Yet, my older daughter is 18 now and I've been through U14 before and I find that aspect of the game is clearly missing. One of the things we have done repeatedly over the past 3 months indoors is work the cut play and keeping the throw down so the cut can actually cut it off. Even when done correctly, the cut play still requires some in play coaching by someone (catcher, coach) because someone has to decide if the ball should be cut off or go through. None the less, you're point's well taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard