Terrible umpiring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
At a game last week, other team is up to bat and she swings and I guess gets hit by the pitch. Ump sends her to first? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought if you swung and got hit, it was just a strike. Next girl comes up, a strike is thrown - ump calls count 3-2? Next pitch is a ball and he sends her to first? I was doing GC and was like - she's only thrown 2 pitches to this girl. Guessing he never reset his clicker for the new batter. Luckily other team's scorekeeper was right next to me and agreed.
Next time we were up to bat, at least 2 or 3 of our girls got hit while swinging and they were called strikes.
It had been raining earlier and I heard later that the umps wanted to start the game early and were hoping it'd get rained out so clearly they did not want to be there.

At a game a week or so ago.. it was not even a real game because the team we were supposed to play got the time wrong so we played the other team in our association. So not like it mattered..but we were up to bat and had three outs and no one realized (except me and our HC) - we played a while longer and scored 2 runs until they got the 4th out ;)

Apr 26, 2015
I appreciate the work the umps do - it is not a job I would want or envy!

This weekend we had a man who was hilarious. He was so out of touch with what was going on on the field.
For instance - there was a play at 2...but the ump was busy watching a plastic bag that was blowing across the field. Pointing at it and following it with his hand and head. Then he turned around and said to the girl on 2nd - "well when did you get here?". Thankfully the game was not even close and the play really didn't matter, but it is was pretty ridiculous. He also called our batter out when the girl at 1st was at least 3 feet off the bag. Again, not a game changer, just a head shaker! Even the other team who knew our runner was safe was chuckling about this guy. I will give him this - at least his fumbled calls went both ways.

And I totally agree - I can't even begin to imagine how many stories the umps have about coaches and parents...DD used to play on a team with a group of parents that could really get going. So glad to have moved on!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez