Team Management Apps - What do you like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I will be coaching a travel team for 2018-2019 that used Team Snap last year. It was OK from a non-admin perspective but not great. It also costs about $9-10 a month. I wondered if anyone has had any success with any of the free apps.

I've been on teams that used Shutterfly before as well. I've looked at about a zillion apps in the AppStore and while some look good, it seems like there are some that have 4+ stars or higher, my older DD who is mobile device savvy, seems to find fault with all I have looked at. Not sure they are all deal killers.

Some of what I have looked at are Team App, Teamstuff, TeamReach, Instateam, Gamechanger Teammanger and Sportgo Lite.

Anybody have anything they like for free? I can always go back to the pay version of the TeamSnap, but if I can save $100 why not? I really don't want to bury everyone in never-ending ads.

Mar 4, 2018
I personally like Team App more than Team Snap. I do not like the group chat setup of Team Snap. I feel like I would have to have Group Me, and Team Snap to get everything I would like to run the team properly. Team Snap has the most to offer IMO, but the adds can be a PITA.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What functions do you need or are you looking for?

We use Gamechanger for scoring and WhatsApp or GroupMe for team communication. Never felt we needed anything beyond that.

Our org has a website hosted on LeagueLineup but that is about it.

What functions do you need or are you looking for?

We use Gamechanger for scoring and WhatsApp or GroupMe for team communication. Never felt we needed anything beyond that.

Our org has a website hosted on LeagueLineup but that is about it.

I guess I really don't know. I've only been on the receiving end in the past, usually the push notifications, scheduling, contact info, food schedules, etc. I don't really use apps very much. I see the apps I listed seem to be the most popular in the AppStore and Google Play for youth sports team management.

I actually scored for us last year using GC. GC has a team management app called TeamManager as well, but the two are not related and you can't sync up rosters, info, etc. TeamManager has no PC option either. All mobile, unlike GC, which allows you to do a whole lot of stuff on a PC rather than fat fingering a phone screen. If TM had a PC option I would probably try it.

Jun 12, 2015
Last year we used a combination of things. I did most of the set up and a good bit of the communication, and we primarily used a Facebook group. It's simple and easy and you can easily search and reference discussions. I had a pinned post with links, resources, our schedule, etc. I put all events (Games, practices, tourneys, etc) in Google calendar under the team account, which anyone could access or view on their own Google calendar. We didn't need anything else. The times we had cookouts at tournaments, I'd just post and everyone would comment with what they would bring. You can create polls. And it's free.

Our coach this year is using Team Snap. I'm withholding judgment. I haven't used it enough to know what I think.

Jul 16, 2018
Used Team Snap before you had to pay for it and it was good.

Last year used Group Me and it served its purpose - Heres the schedule, We practice at this time, Suzy is ill and wont be there tonight

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
All I know is that some of the parents on our team (mostly the Dads, not stereotyping, just true) got annoyed with the number of texts coming through when we used GroupMe. Especially when there was a lot of back and forth about which uniforms to wear, who is driving who, etc... I think that only really important stuff (e.g., rain delays/weather cancellations, change of location/field) should be communicated by Group Texts that go to everyone. Use another method for the more trivial stuff (email always works).

ETA: A lot of info came from HC's daughter to the girls via the Team's group chat (girls only). I don't know if that's always a great idea or not. The important stuff (schedule, cancellations, money-related stuff) needs to go directly to parents, but uniform changes, changes in practice location/time, or whatever could come via girls (probably for 14U and up age groups).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
My DD's team used TeamSnap last year and I thought it worked well as far as keeping the parents updated on schedules and knowing who all was going to be at practice/games. It was also nice when all the parents could add the different pictures to app from tournaments and activities we did. HC this year mentioned GroupMe yesterday. I'm sure within the next couple practices the girls will have their own group text going.

Oct 7, 2015
I've tried them all. We used to use one app for communication (Team Snap), a different app for storing pictures (Shutterfly Share Sites), and then GameChanger we used for stats. Last season we decided that was ridiculous and we eliminated the communication app and just did stats and team communication in GC. The communication is better in Team Snap but it's adequate and was good enough in GC. We still ended up creating a shutterfly site used only for pictures. After several tries I felt good about this combination and I'll be doing this again in the fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez