TCS 16U Nationals Jacksonville Storm Stripped of title

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I am surprise to see a team doing this at that level of competition. Normally you see this in smaller tournaments.In smaller tournaments, I have known several girls who are old enough to buy liquor playing in 18u tournaments, everyone knows...no one wants to put up the $350 fee to make the challenge. Just not worth it....not in a smaller tournament in the middle of no where. This is pretty common in the summer months when the college girls are home for the summer....then again, they are not trying to play in big tournaments.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
For these major Organization (ASA, USSSA, TCS, PGF) tournaments, and especially a "nationals",
I thought teams must submit official rosters in advance of attending the tournament, and no other players make take the field for that Club during the tournament?
Precisely to prevent bringing on last minute "ringers", and to prevent teams from "sharing" players.
is this not true?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If ya ain't cheatin' ya ain't trying.
I think Mark Grace got that one wrong.
Does the brass ring really require you to bring in aged out players?
The first one of these I recall to get big press was the Danny Almonte (I think that was the kid from the bronx) in the boys LLWS at williams port about 20 years ago I think but I'm sure this kind of BS has been going on ever since they had age limits on a division. Some jack rear is always going to try and game the system. Sad really.

May 13, 2013
Sad for the girls who were of age on this team, but glad their staff was called out. It's not the first time I've seen this. I've witnessed in both showcase format and D/E format teams who have players on multiple rosters during the same tournament and coaches who know they aren't age eligible get away with it.

I've also seen times where a coach, manager, or parent recognizes that someone is ineligible and contacts the tournament director only to be called out as a snitch, or holding some type of grudge from the past against that team or player and the TD wont even look into it. If the TD doesn't have the guts to call out a team or larger organization in fear or retribution or loss of business from that organization then they have no business holding tournaments.

Was it the Jacksonville staff that contacted TCS or another teams staff?

Feb 11, 2015
You absolutely have to provide documentation before hand - my DD plays on a 10u team and her coach also has a 16u that played in this tourney. He said he had to provide copies of birth certificates - so they had to be falsified. Also if you look at their Facebook page these two girls also played at IDT in Colorado 16u as well. This isn’t the only tourney they played in, and I believe they played in more than just 2 games. The one girl hit 5 Homer’s during the week, that wasn’t just in the semifinals, since they mentioned it right at the beginning of the game.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Been hearing a lot about this locally. Lots of rumors and I am not sure how much is true. I know a few families on the team but haven't spoken to them directly.

I do know that several teams complained and there was definite proof of overage players (possibly from social media birthday posts from one of the in-question players) - and in the end it was the coaches were told to either come clean or they would be exposed anyway. Basically a resign or be fired option. Considering the job one of the coaches has I believe in a government role, coming clean was the only choice he had.

What stuns me is that at this level everyone knows the players capable of playing at this level. There is no 'hidden' player you can pull out and not have someone know who they are especially on a set of games that were broadcast. This is a long-term dominate team in their age division going back to basically 10U.

jjr

Jun 13, 2017
Sad for the girls who were of age on this team, but glad their staff was called out. It's not the first time I've seen this. I've witnessed in both showcase format and D/E format teams who have players on multiple rosters during the same tournament and coaches who know they aren't age eligible get away with it.

I've also seen times where a coach, manager, or parent recognizes that someone is ineligible and contacts the tournament director only to be called out as a snitch, or holding some type of grudge from the past against that team or player and the TD wont even look into it. If the TD doesn't have the guts to call out a team or larger organization in fear or retribution or loss of business from that organization then they have no business holding tournaments.

They have the game on espn3. It was protested in top of the third inning (I watched it yesterday) right before (who I believe) the ineligible player went up to bat. I'll see if I can find the link for it. I'd have to watch the entire interaction again, but I don't even think the TCS staff looked at the stuff in his binder. The camera man wasn't very good at capturing what the Jacksonville coach was saying to the group because heads were blocking his mouth.

But the coach for the Jacksonville squad seemed to have a really snarky attitude after he pulled out the binder to prove whatever to whomever. According to all reports so far, TCS was contacted by Jacksonville 2 hours AFTER the end of the game.

Jun 8, 2016
I am assuming these coaches are paid. Anybody know how these orgs. base the coaches salaries e.g. are there monetary incentives for these
morons to cheat?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00