Tarps that cover the whole IF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
Have any of you used one of those on your field and if so did it work well? Get a lot of buy-in? Im thinking folks in the Northwest would find these xtremely helpful. I live in new england andcwe lose a lot of days AFTER the rain because the field gets so saturated!

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Pacific NW- Yes a couple area HS's use them....practice, prep field and then tarp if it's going to rain. Works out pretty well.....unless it's left off and then rains over the weekend.

Several of the colleges in our areas tarp their infield all winter. They peel it back on dry days, practice and then put it back. It allows them to get games in when the field would have been saturated otherwise.

Ultimately artificial turf seems to be the way larger school districts, or new schools being built, are going. Especially at the HS level where the fields may be multi use fields. Our HS fences come down and the outfield becomes part of the soccer field for fall.

May 6, 2015
would love to see our rec league do this, but my fear is that it is too much for just the coaches to handle, and if you start having players assist, potentially huge liability issue (I just picture in my mind the situation in CO a few years ago where Phils had to go help/rescue the ground crew as they tried to cover field, wind was gonna take some of them if they had managed to hang on to tarp)

Jun 2, 2012
You will not believe how heavy those tarps are with rain. Also you have to have some type of sand based strip drain in the outfield for the water drain after the tarp is flipped. Otherwise your outfield would be flooded

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I had one when I was in the mid-west. The girls hated those late afternoon/evening phone calls for tarp duty... lol

It saved us so many games, though. You have to be careful not to burn up the grass, leaving it on too long. And yes, you can soak your outfield, but we would squeegee the majority of the water off into foul ground before pulling the tarp. You definitely need a lot of people for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA