Tag up on Caught ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I saw something I've not seen before this weekend and wanted to check the rule. Playing 18U USFA rules. Runner on 2nd, 2 outs. Deep fly ball to CF fence. CF juggles the ball, but ultimately controls it for the catch. Runner on 2nd appeared to have left early, so defense appealed by throwing to 2nd (the runner from 2nd had scored). Umpire ruled that runner was free to leave 2nd base as soon as CF started bobbling the ball and did not have to wait to see if the catch was made since the CF failed to control the ball on her first effort.

It turned out to be the decisive run. Can someone clarify it for me? The umpire's explanantion made some sense, I just can't believe I hadn't seen the situation before in all the years I've been watching. It occurred in the 8th game of the day, and by that point I think we just all wanted to go home, so no one questioned it. I'm just curious.

Mar 1, 2013
First, if the ball was ultimately caught, you have 3 outs and no appeal is necessary (you stated, there were 2 outs).

But, assuming that was a typo, the runners can "tag up" on first contact by the defense on a caught fly ball. If a batted ball was a screaming liner that tipped off of the pitcher's glove and then was ultimately caught by your center fielder, the runners could tag and advance on the touch by the pitcher (extreme example, but for illustration).

That's ever rule set, softball, baseball, kickball, stickball, wiffleball, etc.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Thanks. You're right, typo. 1 out. Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense, otherwise, I guess the offense is frozen standing around waiting to see what the defense will do.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
To add the reason they have it is very similar to the reason the D3K exists. At higher levels an OF could juggle a ball in to the IF to a point where scoring on a tag would be nearly impossible, hence once the ball is touched, the runner is allowed to tag.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Thanks. You're right, typo. 1 out. Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense, otherwise, I guess the offense is frozen standing around waiting to see what the defense will do.

Thank God!!! I was wondering just how fast that girl was in order to score from 2nd on a bobbled ball by the CF that was caught

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619