t ball...suggestions for successful practice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Ok any suggestions on how to run an effective, fun tball team.

I was thinking to get alot of parent help and split kids up like so.

4 on the bases, throw balls to them have them throw to first...to start, then to second etc.

3 with one parent doing ground balls....no bat just throw

3 with one parent working with catching the tossed ball

1 with parent at t, hitting into net. Rotate every 5 minutes?

11 kids on team.

any input...

Mar 15, 2010
I would add in some base running drills. Running through first. At that age I had a parent standing behind first in fair territory with their hand out. The kids had to run past the bag and give the coach a high five. Then have a parent stand behind second, facing first to teach them that they have to stop at second base and can't overrun the base like first. As the season progresses you can add more advanced base running stations depending upon what your league rules allow in terms of number of bases allowed per hit.

KAT

May 13, 2008
awesome idea...thanks. The coach is clueless....he was thrust into this position and he is looking for any help he can get. I showed up with a tee, a net and a bucket of wiffle balls....he was thrilled. I told him I would help his as much as possible...really nice guy. My grandaughters first experience....it's gonna be fun.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Get to watch kids run to 3B first, or sometimes straight out into the field, no idea of what they are supposed to do. In the field everyone creeps in they piles on to get the ball, just like a football pileup. Id say its pretty darn fun if its never practiced at all, for little kids 3-6 or so.

Of course Im talking about recreational T-ball, not travel.

Thats a joke.( I hope?)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2010
Seriously do you think they actually do travel ball at 6??? I can't imagine!!!

Hmm. SoCal? Over involved parents? I could probably convince 12 parents that the college scouts are now seriously looking at the 6Us. Heck Lane Kiffen, USC head football coach, has offered a 13YO a scholarship. How far fetched would it be for 6YO and softball scholarships? Charge $150/month could make some good cash on the side and pay for DDs travel costs.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I would hit them balls instead of throwing them. They will suprise you. Definitly split them into groups but spend as much time hitting a possible. Maybe one group catching ground balls one running bases and the other hitting. Don't be afraid of soft toss at this age or wiffle balls pitched from maybe ten feet. Again make sure you use wiffle balls so you do not get killed. You are trying to create a love of the game while also teaching them for the future.

Throwing is also a challenge. Teach the the correct way and use a fun drill. I sit a stuffed animal on a bucket or chair at first base and let them try and knock it off.

We play 6U and in our league all girls can use a tee up until the halfway point in the season. After that point all girls who will move up to 8U must hit coach pitch. I have three 6yo's and seven 5yo's playing for me and seven of the ten will hit coach pitch 90% of the time.

Good luck and have fun and one last piece of advice..... They love Goldfish and Capri Sun's after games and practice.

Jan 30, 2010
Groups are the only way to go and the parents will love to be involved(hopefully).
I have a team in boys minors 10-U and 7 of the 12 are t-ballers coming in.
They dont know a whole lot.Most cant even catch a ball and swing at everything.
Teach the basics.Proper throwing,base running,catching and the difference between a ball and strike.
The 10-U coach behind you will thank you.If you pitch to them,dont throw lobbers.Keep them on a line,they will thank you later.
In our minor league,if the batter gets walked, the coach comes in to pitch until they hit or strike out.
We have a rule that no coach may have an arch on a pitch that is greater than 1 foot above coaches head from umpires view.
Which pretty much eliminates an arch at all and i love this rule.
If you can afford it or have parents pitch in on this.Give out a game ball to 1 or 2 players after every game with the name,date and reason for the award on it.
Make sure everyone gets one by the end of the season.Your reward is the smile and dances you see after every game.
Good Luck and have loads of fun.
Oh Ya!! (They love Goldfish and Capri Sun's after games and practice.) This is so true!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles