Swing hard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How many play with intent or teach to swing hard? Do you really push the envelope of intent to do some real damage? Or do you believe swinging hard just creates a muscled up swing?

Jun 22, 2019
You want maximum bat speed without compromising mechanics/form. Heck yeah you swing hard, just don’t swing so hard you start pulling your head off the ball.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I just got my Blast sensor. Now I can measure batspeed and effort/intent results. In the past before I knew much about anything trying to create more batspeed often resulted in a long swing. With Blast I now can measure batspeed and swing time at the same time.

Sep 17, 2009
I've always liked Tewks description of effortless, black-out power that you are almost surprised happens -- ie, not muscled-up but the result of well-timed swing delivering an optimal path to the ball striking it at the optimal, squared-up location -- all of that perfect timing and well-sequenced action delivering an effortless result.

That said, the size of the hitter is going to make a difference, so mass and strength does matter. And hitters can make themselves stronger via lifting, etc. But hitting itself isn't a contest of strength :)

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I think most of the 'throw/swing with intent' stuff is overdone. I am more concerned with improving technique and measuring against a radar device. Try a technique, measure it, if faster keep doing it.

Jun 8, 2016
The problem with the swing hard ideology is that most will take that queue and apply it to the whole swing process when in reality, everything up till launch should be slow, controlled and balanced. Thinking about "swinging hard" will often cause kids to speed up that whole process. That said at the really young ages (3 to 7?) I don't really see anything wrong with it. I only tell my 4 YO son to get into a good stance and swing hard.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks everyone,

I like the quote from Epstein, "effortless power vs powerless effort". I have experienced an effortless swing in baseball and golf. I wouldn't say I swung hard to achieve the results.

Nov 18, 2015
As Pattar referenced - very age-dependent. “Swing hard” is usually tacked on to any last minute instructions / corrections I may give - “just step straight back towards the pitcher, and swing hard”, “Bend the knees and swing hard”, etc.

I’m still working with 10U or younger, so while I want an adjustment to be made, I don’t want them to forget about the actual “swing”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619