Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
Nice progress!! I agree with the consideration of the handset, although it doesn't seem to be causing her much trouble at the moment. Of course that is partially due to a high tee placement. Whatever you do, I would suggest taking it slow so that you don't lose any of the progress that she has made. Hopefully she can maintain this against a moving target. How old is she again?

Little DD turned 12 last week

May 22, 2012
Watch the video below ...

Notice the comments on gaining ground "from the instep of the back shoe".

The "Feet Together Step And Stride Drill", the "Foot Crossover Drill" and the "Stork Drill" (similar to what this girl is doing) are all drills where this can be worked on.

Thanks 5 very relevant video in pointing out the differences in the swings from post 401 and 412

I have an interesting question. What about taking the foot together approach to the batters box? (assuming the HC would allow it)

May 4, 2012
she used to have some of the best rear hip/rear leg action (fbc) out of any swing posted on here - now, it's gone - but hey - now ffs swing likes her hacks. smh

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks 5 very relevant video in pointing out the differences in the swings from post 401 and 412

I have an interesting question. What about taking the foot together approach to the batters box? (assuming the HC would allow it)

I've seen this done.

That isn't the path I take though.

What I do is perform the drill your daughter is doing (and sometimes I'll use the foot cross-over drill instead), and then have the hitter work on working the same positive mechanics into their normal swing.

As part of a standard warm-up I have hitters perform 10 stork drills ... with a focus on a sequence of "Forward as we prepare to throw" (and sometimes with other points-of-emphasis), and then follow-up with three normal swings where the same point-of-emphasis is worked on. If a hitter is struggling working the sequence into their swing then I don't go any further ... I have them repeat the stork/cross-over drill and focus on the sequence.

Short answer is ... my preference is to work this positive attribute you just picked up into your daughter's normal swing.

Rhythm, rhythm, rhythm ... forward and prepare to throw. Keep the newly found balance.

May 4, 2012
IMO the swing in post #401 is anything but "the best rear hip/rear leg action (fbc)".

The improvement in balance here is noteworthy IMO.

many moons bf that where I said I really liked her action but she was getting stuck back. At the time I suggested she do a cross legged drill/and or a stork like drill - like you are now suggesting. Improving balance at the expense of giving up her great rear leg/hip action was a bad trade imho. One is much harder to get

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
many moons bf that where I said I really liked her action but she was getting stuck back. At the time I suggested she do a cross legged drill/and or a stork like drill - like you are now suggesting. Improving balance at the expense of giving up her great rear leg/hip action was a bad trade imho. One is much harder to get

Your suggestion for the crossover drill was a good one.

Your suggestion that this below was good was something I didn't personally agree with.

tumblr_nuy31l3JCP1usf292o1_400.gif

An increased gathering of energy, FbC, can be realized from the current swing fairly easily IMO.

I was fairly clear on the two swings I was comparing ... and a FbC action in the 'before' swing is not present. Not exactly sure what you wish to argue over. If you are looking for credit for the crossover drill then my hat is off to you ... good recommendation ... I would hope your were after the balance improvement that recently showed up.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Not sure if this has already been discussed... I've skipped most of the posts... I like pictures :) ... my .02....

You could take either one of the recent GIFs...

5QVH9T4.gif

She get's to the "stork" / "tewks Go A" position and then what? That is gather.

She doesn't know how to break the seal on the balance from there... so she does that back leg / knee flex thing to get going and slides out with the hips and front leg from there. It could be lots better.

The coil forward to start the sequence from that starting gather position would be where I would go. In the stork position you can try two different things... 1) add the back leg flex as part of the gather, basically take that away as an option to break the seal (because it's already done). Or 2) just tell her not to do that knee bend thing as the first move.

Ok so what to do instead to break the seal and get the FbC.... ?

Buttermaker has a nice cue that I have swiped and that is "take the top of the rear leg towards 3B".. or in this case... move the top of the leg towards the Bed bath beyond bag..... think of the femur as a joy stick (do kids even know what a joy stick is anymore?) and move it towards the bag behind her. While doing this... keep the Belly button pointed at the camera (it will probably still move back some and thats ok, but the intent is to keep it at the camera).

This action should break the stalemate of her starting position and she'll move forward... and she'll be coiling too.... what's that called? FbC!

Good Luck!

May 3, 2014
Not sure if this has already been discussed... I've skipped most of the posts... I like pictures :) ... my .02....

You could take either one of the recent GIFs...

5QVH9T4.gif

She get's to the "stork" / "tewks Go A" position and then what? That is gather.

She doesn't know how to break the seal on the balance from there... so she does that back leg / knee flex thing to get going and slides out with the hips and front leg from there. It could be lots better.

The coil forward to start the sequence from that starting gather position would be where I would go. In the stork position you can try two different things... 1) add the back leg flex as part of the gather, basically take that away as an option to break the seal (because it's already done). Or 2) just tell her not to do that knee bend thing as the first move.

Ok so what to do instead to break the seal and get the FbC.... ?

Buttermaker has a nice cue that I have swiped and that is "take the top of the rear leg towards 3B".. or in this case... move the top of the leg towards the Bed bath beyond bag..... think of the femur as a joy stick (do kids even know what a joy stick is anymore?) and move it towards the bag behind her. While doing this... keep the Belly button pointed at the camera (it will probably still move back some and thats ok, but the intent is to keep it at the camera).

This action should break the stalemate of her starting position and she'll move forward... and she'll be coiling too.... what's that called? FbC!

Good Luck!

Stick - my advice before was to happen after this part of taking the rear leg towards the 3B line while keeping the BB on the plate - as the front leg starts dropping you then try and reverse the first part by taking the butt back towards the catcher while at the same time take the BB towards the catcher from the plate side. The net effect should be more hip flexion - yes ditch the knee flexion to kick start the movement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors