Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I believe 'both' sides agree that before a hitter 'directs and launches' or 'launches and directs'(fine tune direction adjustments). The eyes are getting the hands and body in a position to do what the example of Miggy shows.
MiggyHandDirection.gif

I don't disagree with your statement, but my eyes see some very fine (but important) hand movement before the barrel launches. IMO, finding direction is not an instantaneous process. It is not a point in time. It is a window of time that occurs while the ball is in the air.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2013
\
I don't disagree with your statement, but my eyes see some very fine (but important) hand movement before the barrel launches. IMO, finding direction is not an instantaneous process. It is not a point in time. It is a window of time that occurs while the ball is in the air.

In my opinion the clips need to show stride into foot plant. At this time eyes read ball out of hand and body makes adjustments for location. Notice clips above miggy is taller on the right. So important to be back side, hard to make body adjustments when weight is just a little forward. Front side hitters tend to stay tall no matter where the pitch is located. Very important not to push during this time. High velo will take away some of the body adjustments.

Second read will be spin. Most say anywhere from 15 to 25 feet away. If your swinging with your back you have a chance here. I'm talking about velo in the high 80's and into the 90's. Pushers depending on the athlete can have great success into the upper 80's.

Just be careful. Huge difference between whipping and pushing. I guess it's the word direct that I don't like. Maybe Howe is spot on. The clip on the rt to me looks like a natural swing. Good read on the ball, no push. Getting hands to a spot sounds like a hitter is beaten inside and has to abort his mechanics to survive the pitch. Usually little body adjustment and the swing plan will be down to ball.

Just my opinion, going back to the stands to watch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Cool, and thank you for the correction on my grammar, I'm slow.

Yes I've seen your words and I'm familiar with your framework. You have to be careful if you're going to deny those certain "tenets". See? I'm getting there.

I'm glad you mention real life. In your estimation, does Miggy:
  • Read the speed/spin/location with direction in mind?
  • Read the speed/spin/location with torquing the handle in mind?

MiggyHandDirection.gif

In real life, good hitters talk about their hands but never talk about torquing the handle when things are going well. They talk about trusting their hands... Wonder what they mean?

A point of difference on my end .....

I agree with picking up 'speed' and 'location'. I think it is a mistake for a hitter to focus on 'spin'. I believe a focus on 'spin' has the eyes too tight, and lessens having a 'relaxed open focus', and hence makes it more difficult for the hitter to predict the trajectory and ultimate location of where impact will occur.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Interesting...

“I don’t like to use my top hand,” Beltre said as he shook his head. “I don’t think it’s a good thing. A top-hand swing is a roll over. I want to take the knob to the ball with the bottom hand. Tuck my hands in, and take my knob to the ball and release the barrel.”

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
\

In my opinion the clips need to show stride into foot plant. At this time eyes read ball out of hand and body makes adjustments for location. Notice clips above miggy is taller on the right. So important to be back side, hard to make body adjustments when weight is just a little forward. Front side hitters tend to stay tall no matter where the pitch is located. Very important not to push during this time. High velo will take away some of the body adjustments.

Second read will be spin. Most say anywhere from 15 to 25 feet away. If your swinging with your back you have a chance here. I'm talking about velo in the high 80's and into the 90's. Pushers depending on the athlete can have great success into the upper 80's.

Just be careful. Huge difference between whipping and pushing. I guess it's the word direct that I don't like. Maybe Howe is spot on. The clip on the rt to me looks like a natural swing. Good read on the ball, no push. Getting hands to a spot sounds like a hitter is beaten inside and has to abort his mechanics to survive the pitch. Usually little body adjustment and the swing plan will be down to ball.

Just my opinion, going back to the stands to watch.

Bold above is a good topic IMO.

Donny Buster wrote the following ... "It is better to set the posture and upper body loading for the down and away pitch and adjust up and in."

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Cool, and thank you for the correction on my grammar, I'm slow.

Yes I've seen your words and I'm familiar with your framework. You have to be careful if you're going to deny those certain "tenets". See? I'm getting there.

I'm glad you mention real life. In your estimation, does Miggy:
  • Read the speed/spin/location with direction in mind?
  • Read the speed/spin/location with torquing the handle in mind?

MiggyHandDirection.gif

In real life, good hitters talk about their hands but never talk about torquing the handle when things are going well. They talk about trusting their hands... Wonder what they mean?

In baseball we read the spin for timing purposes. Curve/drop-ball spin tells one to sit on it.

Sep 2, 2013
Bold above is a good topic IMO.

Donny Buster wrote the following ... "It is better to set the posture and upper body loading for the down and away pitch and adjust up and in."

Up and in is usually a fastball, if you adjust to that location I would think you're getting beat most of the time. That locations contact point for a squared up ball is the quickest as far as reaction time goes. To me up and in needs to be zoned up pre-pitch if you are to stand a chance against decent velo.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Up and in is usually a fastball, if you adjust to that location I would think you're getting beat most of the time. That locations contact point for a squared up ball is the quickest as far as reaction time goes. To me up and in needs to be zoned up pre-pitch if you are to stand a chance against decent velo.

What you describe is part of the logic applied to the recommendation to "look inside, react outside". The notion being to first look high/inside. The other part of that advice is that it better compliments an inside/out swing path ... i.e., short-to, long-through.

What Donny was suggesting is that his initial 'move out' was with the thought of the posture, and upper body loading, being such that it would cover the low/away pitch.

Sep 2, 2013
What you describe is part of the logic applied to the recommendation to "look inside, react outside". The notion being to first look high/inside. The other part of that advice is that it better compliments an inside/out swing path ... i.e., short-to, long-through.

What Donny was suggesting is that his initial 'move out' was with the thought of the posture, and upper body loading, being such that it would cover the low/away pitch.

Most hitters are taught to look for a zone. Never adjust up. If looking for a pitch down and away and get a pitch up you'll never catch up. In regards to a fb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad