surgeon Dr. James Andrews wants your young athlete to stay healthy by playing less

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Seen this on another board. Good stuff here. I feel like fastpitch parents need to be aware of this.

Noted surgeon Dr. James Andrews wants your young athlete to stay healthy by playing less | cleveland.com

PD: The best advice you would give parents of a young athlete?

J.A.: The first thing I would tell them is, their kid needs at least two months off each year to recover from a specific sport. Preferably, three to four months.

Dr. James Andrews on seven major sports health myths | cleveland.com

6: Fast-pitch softball, with its windmill delivery, can't produce injuries to the thrower's shoulder or elbow.

There is a common belief that throwing underhand is a natural way to keep the player safe from injury, but this definitely is not true. ... Pitching limits matter in softball as much as they do in baseball.

Oct 25, 2009
Good article, but it sounds more like mechanical flaws, or accidents than it does overuse. As much as I see players play I don't see injuries I would attribute to overuse as much as I see accidental injuries or flawed mechanics (especially); in softball.

I've only seen one ACL injury over the years on any of our softball teams. I've seen quite a few more ACL injuries in basketball, including my DD. Her ACL/meniscus injury had a positive consequence, though. She earned her Doctorate in Physical Therapy later.

Feb 7, 2013
My DD's pitching coach blew out her shoulder in college after her sophomore year, had a couple of surgeries and that was end of her pitching career. She attributes her injury to overuse, especially in travel ball where she would pitch up to 5 games a day. When possible, I like my DD to only pitch every other day so her body has a chance to rest and heal before her next session. As sluggers says all the time, after college your DDs softball career is over but she needs a healthy arm for the rest of her life. Lets err on the side of caution with our kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors