Suggestions on best way for catcher to signal to rest of D

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
When a runner is on first or third the D should be ready to get a throw from the catcher. DD doesn't signal but just whips one down the line. LF and RF should ALWAYS backup when there is a runner on those bases. Sometimes the coach will call out a specific play to try and get a runner and the word is different from week to week.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
when the catcher is moving out of her crouch and pulling her hand back while looking at first. that is the signal for the right fielder to back up the play.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Helps to have a loud vocal catcher, lucky I've always had one that was too vocal, if you know what I mean. :)

Catcher calls for older girls:
Odd numbers for 1st, 2nd, 3rd base in ascending order starting with lowest at 1st.

Example:
1st is #3
2nd is #5
3rd is #9

Simply put, the catcher yells out a simple phrase "make a play three" "stay sharp five" "a hit coming to you nine". She can say what ever phrase she wants, the key is the number that represents the bag to alert the infield and out field for backup.

About now you're thinking "other team is going to pick up on that number calling fast". No, you'd be surprised how simple this is and yet no one really ever figures it out during a game and here is why..................

Those odd numbers that represent the bases? The key is the odd numbers assigned to the bases also are odd uniform numbers on the roster. For my example #3 may be Jenny who plays LF, #5 may be Jodie who plays 2nd base, #9 may be Alex playing 1st base.

So when the catcher yells "stay sharp nine" my girls know a pick off is going to 3rd. ( because the catcher is calling the # of play, not the uniform # ) ( if the catcher wants to address a single "player" she calles them by name and not uniform #, so there is no confusion ) The offense will see #9 on the roster/lineup is playing 1st, the opponents never pick up on whats going on. It's so simple but has enough smoke and mirrors to pull it off.

To add even more confusion, whatever # "play" the catcher calls............the # uniform player will raise a quick hand, slap her glove, "ok", "I got it". From the offense view they hear "we need this out three", and see jersey #3 in LF raise her arms as if the hit may be coming her way. Little do they know "three" is pick off at 1st base. It's all about deception.

When young, I will call the # play from dugout. "Down and ready nine", means same thing..........pick off or play at 3rd.

Hope this makes sense, I've got the HS coach using it now because it's so easy to execute.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Wow, I like GoingDeep's.

A method I heard about somewhere was that the catcher slaps her mitt against her right leg for a throw down to first and against her left leg for a throw down to third. (I guess she tries to make it look like she's just slapping the dirt out.) And the infielder responds with a slap of her glove to say she's set to receive it. It sounded easy, but I'd think the other team would be able to pick it up quickly.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Work it into your pitch signal, all players should be reading these and relaying to OF. Have a signal the indicated throw down and location. Fist then 3 fingers is throw-down 3rd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC