Suggestions for Catcher's strengthening workouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2013
My stepdaughter is a catcher for 14-18U travel team. We are looking for exercises for her to do to get ready for the season and also for the days that they are not practicing. Any ideas?

Feb 10, 2013
I would suggest a moderate weight training regime especially squats .....footwork footwork and more footwork..upper and lower body endurance..(treadmill.spinning etc..) BLOCKING....and technique..IMO that got really good reults with our team,,and it actually made our catcher more confident and had a bit of "spice" in her attitude at the position..LOL

Jul 9, 2012
Sprints, sprints from a laying position, sprints with resistance, wall sits, squats, rocker quads, lunges (walking, reverse, sideways), one legged bridges, push-ups, burpees, medicine ball slams, medicine ball rotation throws, skater jumps, and up downs is a short list. I don't think anything but the up downs is catcher specific. We used to do duck walks but too many were getting shin pain.

For throwing lots of long catch, band work, and one knee work.

And then most catching drills have an element of excersise,building of stamina to them.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Burpees
Hindu Squats
Sprints with a weighted sled harnessed to your body
core work with a medicine ball or similar
agility ladder workouts

combined with proper footwork routines (getting a bunt, throwing to 2nd or 3rd; pop-up footwork, passball footwork, etc.), and blocking sets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole