Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
That being said...Part of the beauty of the game of Fastpitch and Baseball is the human element that the umpire provides [/I]

This sums up the whole situation. They have the technology to call balls and strikes with computers but would you really want it that way? It just wouldn't be the same game in my opinion.

I don't care where the strike zone is just be consistent.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
I do care where the strike zone is, you give me a belt high down the middle mason jar zone you've made yourself more important than your supposed to be as far as I'm concerned. If Hobbling the better pitchers is in your job description than you need to find something to do that your good at. The weaker batters can just stand there and the better ones just tee off. Ruins the game if you ask me.

This sums up the whole situation. They have the technology to call balls and strikes with computers but would you really want it that way? It just wouldn't be the same game in my opinion.

I don't care where the strike zone is just be consistent.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
"This sums up the whole situation. They have the technology to call balls and strikes with computers but would you really want it that way?"

I don't want a computer calling balls and strikes in a game, the vast majority of umpires are tolerable. HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind the technology being used (when it becomes feasible) for rating umpires on how well they call the official zone. I see it more as feedback to them, because I don't think those with terrible zones even know they aren't all that close to the official zone. I would think THEY would like to know how they do. At least I would hope they would like to.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Okay, now for the REAL pot-stirring....

I truly believe that there are some (relatively few) umpires out there that call a very small strike zone as a power thing--you know...a bit over the top with the "I'm in charge here and don't you forget it!" attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with umpires keeping things under control in games, but to use their own, purposely tighter, strike zone as a power thing.......I think that's wrong, even unethical.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
re: umpiring --

Try to make it better, or accept it without complaint, IMO.

You get the level of umpiring, on average, that you demand. If coaches and parents want better umpires, what are they willing to do to get them?

Would teams be willing to play $50 more per tournament to hire a couple of roving officials who grade the umpires and provide feedback? Would they be willing to pay for getting them a $10-per-game raise to attract more quality people who are willing to do it? Would they be willing to pay officials associations money to market for more umpires and provide more training? Would they push for sanctioning bodies to require more training? Would teams pay money to fund that?

I don't have a problem w/ the quality of umpires. I'd like better umpires, but I'd also like better coaches and better parents.

If teams want better umpires, find a way to make them better. Nobody is doing that, so that tells me they are generally happy with what they're getting.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I truly believe that there are some (relatively few) umpires out there that call a very small strike zone as a power thing--you know...a bit over the top with the "I'm in charge here and don't you forget it!" attitude.

Possibly. But so what? What are you going to do about it?

Every moment that you spend thinking and worrying about this is a moment that could've been spent on making your players better, IMHO. It's a waste of imagination.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, My asking, "Were was it, Blue?" could hardly be arguing. It's the only think I said to him the entire game. I certainly hope you don't think asking such a question once in a game is "arguing."

It isn't the umpire's job to coach you on pitch positioning, nor to announce the game. The umpire should not respond to such requests. Many, if not most, umpires will quietly provide such information to the catcher if there seems to be some question. I've even known umpires to realize they missed one and tell the catcher that if the pitcher comes back with the same pitch and location, it will most likely be a strike.

You can ask, but you probably will not like the fact you are not getting an answer or getting one with which you disagree.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
"God, grant me the serenity to ACCEPT the things I cannot change, the COURAGE to change the things I can, and the WISDOM to know the difference."

The strike zone is one of those things that might feel good complaining about, but it does absolutely no good. Teach the players how to adjust to a given strike zone because every umpire has their own interpretation of what it is. If it's inconsistent, so be it, it is still one day away from work where you are out on the fields doing something incredibly enjoyable. You will have less stress in your life. For me, it's a way to get away from work and spend time doing something I love. A poor strike zone is the least of my worries.

Thank you PA Dad. Once you have been watching your DD play softball for over ten years, you realize everyday that my DD is playing softball, at a very high level, is a GOOD day.

These teenage ballplayers are so pre-occupied with boyfriends, BFF's, twitter, snapchat, school grades ... etc ... etc ... every single moment she allows me to watch her bat against the best of the best ... is an honor. Sometimes the umpire TAKES the AB away from her. Other times she gets a break and goes DEEP.

Parents need to realize ... these days will end much sooner than you all want to believe. Whether or not she plays in college, life changes. Softball life changes very quickly.

Where the strike zone is matters nothing. Zero. Zilch. She either rips it deep, walks, gets a tweener hit, or strikes out. I am just glad she has worked her butt off for over 10 years to allow me the priviledge of watching just one more game.

I personally soak each and every moment IN.

My DD laughs at me. I remember just about every BIG hit she has ever had. Will recite them to her. She does not remember hardly any of them. Very soon ... softball will be gone ... hope for grand-children ... and maybe start all over again.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Doug, you are never ever going to get one of these guys to admit that there are many serving as umpires who are doing it for the money and nothing else. I'll leave off the comments about having to do it for the money. Sure there are coaches as well who are not qualified. Most coaches admit that those coaches are out there.

The rest deleted by me as my remarks are not positive in nature about Umpires and incompetence.

Edited to add:

My "Brother in law" is one and he knows what I think about him.

Actually, I start every year with telling the new umpires that we are all there for one reason or another, but whether it is because you enjoy the game or need the money, there is no reason not to do your best to do it right, with the correct mechanics, hustle, uniform & equipment.

Of course, there are what I call "greens" that are there solely for the money. They shortcut anywhere they can and still get plenty of games. That is because the better umpires will avoid leagues/conferences/tournaments where the players and coaches are known to be a little on the aggressive side. So, you know where the greens end up?

IMO, no matter why you are going anything, there is no excuse for not giving 100% to do it correctly.

FCA

Jul 30, 2013
I would like to jump in here. My household consists of a TB pitcher and a young umpire.
As an FYI - The wars that rage at home about balls/strikes after a tournament are epic.

My sons strike zone is tight and fairly consistent (he is young), drives my daughter crazy - she wants a "fatter" river and so do most of the coaches. Nothing wrong with that, BUT as a coach/pitcher/parent you need to respect the ump's zone. If you are not getting a "fat" river or the upper/lower end of the zone to your liking complaining is not going to help. You have to work within it. They are not going to change what they (umps) are comfortable seeing and calling, because there are other things they look for at the same time. (Especially if it's "one" ump like rec ball)

I don't know about the rest of the country, but where I am, a "good" umpire actually has to study and learn from books, videos, etc. My son spends a lot of time studying and learning, just to make $20 for a couple hours AND not get yelled at too much. And he gets yelled at a lot still. There isn't a lot of practical resources for them. They study, try and memorize a lot of rules, then go and work games, where they learn more (hopefully). It's a long process, I for one wouldn't/couldn't do it because I don't have the tolerance for people.

There are umpire "graders" that come in from the various associations from time to time and observe the umpires in our state, not sure about elsewhere. My son has been graded, told what he did right, wrong, and what he could do better at. It was good for him.

Agee whole heartedly that Umpires need to be consistent with a strike zone, my son said that is one of the hardest parts of umpiring, different size girls, different pitchers with different delivery, etc, all can have an effect. I guess maybe since I have experienced both sides, I can say that it is harder than it looks, and umpires generally don't try and make your pitchers/parents/coaches softball experience miserable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz