Strike Zone ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
You want to hear coaches and players scream like mashed cats, call the top of the zone at the arm pits as its defined in the rule book.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You want to hear coaches and players scream like mashed cats, call the top of the zone at the arm pits as its defined in the rule book.

In college, if you want to hear coaches, players and parents scream like mashed cats, call the top of the zone at the arm pits. That is not a strike and no part of the ball can be at the sternum according to one college umpire I talked to. He said that that call gets him more reaction than any other. BTW, college heckling from the fans is sometimes pathetic. They take away from the game and make themselves what the game is about. JMHO!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Worked ASA nationals the past couple of years and was very interesting to see players who had no intention of leaving the game in the umpires hands. Every one of those girls showed up with the intention of hitting anything that was close to the strike zone. Worked almost 15 games on the plate in those 2 years and I think I called out 3 girls total looking at strike 3.

What was the ratio of K-swinging and K-looking? Sounds like it might've been 20-to-1. If you've got that few ''called out'' on strikes, I wonder if they're being too aggressive. I agree that it's better to teach them to be aggressive, but there's such a thing as too aggressive. Taking a called strike three is no worse than chasing a ball and hitting a dribbler to the pitcher, but for some reason one is considered far more shameful than the other. I was trying to find the take/swing strikeout ratio in MLB, but can't find it.

Jun 22, 2008
What was the ratio of K-swinging and K-looking? Sounds like it might've been 20-to-1. If you've got that few ''called out'' on strikes, I wonder if they're being too aggressive. I agree that it's better to teach them to be aggressive, but there's such a thing as too aggressive. Taking a called strike three is no worse than chasing a ball and hitting a dribbler to the pitcher, but for some reason one is considered far more shameful than the other. I was trying to find the take/swing strikeout ratio in MLB, but can't find it.

To be honest, I dont think the ratio was that bad. The players both years seemed to be very good at knowing what was and wasnt a strike. Obviously there were a few swings at pitches not even close, but for the most part they left bad pitches alone.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
To be honest, I dont think the ratio was that bad. The players both years seemed to be very good at knowing what was and wasnt a strike. Obviously there were a few swings at pitches not even close, but for the most part they left bad pitches alone.

That's a sign of a good hitter, of which I'm sure there were many at that tournament. Probably the most underrated factor in hitting is the decision-making aspect - when to swing, when to lay off, and in particular when to take a strike and wait for a better pitch.

Dec 19, 2012
Taking a called strike three is no worse than chasing a ball and hitting a dribbler to the pitcher, but for some reason one is considered far more shameful than the other.

Of course it's worse to take a called third strike. Taking a called third strike gives you a ZERO chance to get a hit. Whenever you swing at a pitch you have at least a very slight chance of getting on base. When you have two stikes, it is always best to swing at anything close rather than not swing at all and put your fate in the umpire.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
IMHO - much better for the blue to have a wider zone than a tight one. With a wide zone the kids know they have to go up swinging. In reverese (and its been called on the DD many times), when the entire ball needs to be over the plate to be called a strike; the game is a slog with walks and balls hit like rockets since its nothing more than batting practice.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In college, if you want to hear coaches, players and parents scream like mashed cats, call the top of the zone at the arm pits. That is not a strike and no part of the ball can be at the sternum according to one college umpire I talked to. He said that that call gets him more reaction than any other. BTW, college heckling from the fans is sometimes pathetic. They take away from the game and make themselves what the game is about. JMHO!

You are correct. The NCAA changed the college strike zone to top out at the sternum? Just one question. Where is the sternum on each player and what can the umpire use as a focal point of reference?

Point is, as much as people constantly complain about it, in ASA and others, the armpits are used as that is a point of reference which is discernible on each player. And remember, it used to be all of the shoulder, not the arm pit. Doesn't mean that an umpire actually calls those pitches a strike.

However, if you are going to push the top down and bring the bottom up a little because the knee isn't always the easiest body point to draw a line, you still give the pitcher the same "area" by taking it outside a little bit. That is a very hittable ball and sometimes preferred by the hitters that really open up and extend.

OTOH, if you are going to give the pitcher the outside, the inside should be called straight by the plate.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
So i was at my DD high school game last night and had a great seat right behind home plate. My DD is a lefty slapper and bats first on our team.....first pitch inside ball crosses the plate over the chalk on the inside part of the batters box .......STRIKE the umpire says ....i figure ok first pitch of the game no problem.... Second pitch out side off the plate but not as bad maybe ball and a half off .....she swings and fouls it off .... Good girl foul them off until you get a pitch to hit .......third pitch outside again over the chalk on the right hand batters box ....STRIKE THREE!!!!!.... Ok now before i get a bunch of nay sayers the chalk on both sides of the plate was 6" of the edge of the plate. One thing i will give him is this ridiculous strike zone was consistant all game for both teams.

My question is how can you cover 29" of strike zone with a 33 inch bat now ..i would understand if it was one side or the other but both! Umpires please give me some insight into this.

I am not an umpire, just a pitchers dad and my pitcher is also #4 in the lineup.

In HS ball, an umpire that is consistent is all you can ask for.

As a hitter, if you know what the zone is you can protect it. If blue is calling off the plate on both sides, I would tell my hitters to crowd the plate and try to take the inside pitch away, she will eventually go outside or down the middle and..... BOOM!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Of course it's worse to take a called third strike. Taking a called third strike gives you a ZERO chance to get a hit. Whenever you swing at a pitch you have at least a very slight chance of getting on base. When you have two stikes, it is always best to swing at anything close rather than not swing at all and put your fate in the umpire.

I don't think I explained my point very well. Yes, it's better to put the ball in play than to strikeout. But I'm not talking about taking pitches that are in the strike zone. Obviously, that's a fatal mistake w/ 2 strikes. But I'm talking about taking pitches that are out of the strike zone. Sometimes it's better to put your fate in the umpire's hands. Otherwise, you're swinging at anything w/ 2 strikes.

So what I was trying to say was this: A girl who chases a bad pitch (out of the strike zone) w/ 2 strikes and hits a dribbler (instead still batting w/ a 2-2 count) is often excused. "It was two strikes, way to be aggressive.'' But a girl who fails in her educated guess that the umpire will call the pitch a ball is treated as though she's broken the cardinal rule of hitting. Hitters must make tough decisions w/ 2 strikes. If you NEVER take a third strike, then you're probably making some bad decisions that are hurting you on the other end, imo.

Last edited: