Steps of the Process

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
My 14yr old DD (incoming HS freshman) will be playing travel ball this fall with a team which will be partipating in three college showcases here in the Northeast.

Just looking for ideas and opinons on what to expect and if there is anything more I should be doing at this point for her.

All opinoins and advice are welcome !

Dec 7, 2011
My 2 cents:

Usually the outcome (W/L) of the games have their priority decreased compared to getting individual players the opportunity to do things to impress coaches. Some of a normal "best-for-team" items that are put aside are things like watching pitches to get walks,..sacrifices,...etc. Everyone who is in tune with the more over-the-top showcase events knows it's about "Line Drives n Dives".

So batters are swinging for the big shocking hard hits and they are planning/hoping for that dive to make a great defensive play.

IF the coaching staff is in tune with a showcase event they know how to best "display" their team in the right way to the right coaches. Meaning there are some "normally crazy" substitutions that go on sometimes to get a want-to-be-seen kid in the right spot for the right coach.

Showcases are kinda weird from my purist competitive perspective BUT they say this is what needs to be done to be the most effective at these things. (ASSUMING you have already littered the communication airways to the coaches that plan to be there beforehand).

My daughter got her ticket from a showcase (but individual) where she totally put on a show of "Line Drives n Dives". These individual ones are all on the kid and can't get help from the TB club coaches.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Before you go to the showcase, find out the list of colleges attending. If any of them look like they are what your daughter is interested in (fields of study, level of play, location), have her send an introduction email to the coach and pass her game schedule along. She will NOT get any responses. Schools cannot contact freshman. If your team has a recruiting coordinator, have them send a similar email. They will get responses. At this point she should be looking at the type of school she wants to attend. Go to as many camps at those schools as you can. Things will take off from there.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
(1) Create player profile sheet and attach it to bat bag (some teams have a folder with sheets for each player - but some don't)
(2) Remind her that you never know who is watching and that if she's really interested in playing in college to give 100% on every play, pitch, swing, etc.
(3) Remind yourself and any other supporting family members that you never know who is watching - I've heard more than one coach say at a camp that they recruit the family almost as much as they recruit the player
(4) Probably the most important - have fun and enjoy the rollercoaster!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell