Stepping out, fear of ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter tends to step toward third when hitting live (in games). Doesn't do it front toss, or often not with easy live pitching.

Since she does this, I like to watch her behind the backstop to see if she's making progress. In the process, I notice this issue of stepping out is pretty common. I'd say half of DD's team does it, and many on other teams.

Keep in mind this is a 16U team. These are big girls. This isn't the kinda fear you see w/ younger kids turning their head. You wouldn't think they are scared of the ball. The would deny they are. But my theory is that this instinct still lives in many, even after hundreds of at-bats through the years, even if they've never had a bad experience. It's a human thing, and it's hard to out-grow it.

Further, my theory is that if you step out only in games, then it's a subconscious fear issue. If you step out in both games and in front toss, then it's more of a swing issue. Jack Perconte talked briefly about this once, the idea that if you have a long swing, you'll find ways to get yourself away from the ball so you can hit w/ arms more extended. It's a subconscious adjustment that occurs because inner me is saying, 'I can't hit the ball with my swing if I step straight, so my foot will go where it will help me most.'

Similar thing happens w/ the girl who's subconsciously afraid - but she's not keeping herself at a distance b/c of her swing, but because of her fear. It's like she thinks to herself, at some level she might not be aware of, 'How can I hit this ball hard while also keeping the ball at a distance from me. I need to hit the ball after I've extended my arms a little bit.'

What do y'all think of that?

IMO, it's important for the hitter to realize she needs to be comfortable hitting a ball close to her. Better yet, she needs to want to hit a ball close to her. Needs to have the mentality that she wants to be up close and personal with the bell, let it enter the wheelhouse. I think a lot of hitters struggle with that in games. Many who are capable fall short because they just don't have the comfort level for it, like this Michigan girl here does --

Any truth in this discourse? Otherwise, I have no solution to a player who will not step straight even when you expressly ask her to do it pitch to pitch during live hitting. It's getting so hard that the only solution is to go to a side-stance, no-stride approach, and even then she cheats a little.

Sierra_Romero.jpg

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My daughter tends to step toward third when hitting live (in games). Doesn't do it front toss, or often not with easy live pitching.

Since she does this, I like to watch her behind the backstop to see if she's making progress. In the process, I notice this issue of stepping out is pretty common. I'd say half of DD's team does it, and many on other teams.

Keep in mind this is a 16U team. These are big girls. This isn't the kinda fear you see w/ younger kids turning their head. You wouldn't think they are scared of the ball. The would deny they are. But my theory is that this instinct still lives in many, even after hundreds of at-bats through the years, even if they've never had a bad experience. It's a human thing, and it's hard to out-grow it.

Further, my theory is that if you step out only in games, then it's a subconscious fear issue. If you step out in both games and in front toss, then it's more of a swing issue. Jack Perconte talked briefly about this once, the idea that if you have a long swing, you'll find ways to get yourself away from the ball so you can hit w/ arms more extended. It's a subconscious adjustment that occurs because inner me is saying, 'I can't hit the ball with my swing if I step straight, so my foot will go where it will help me most.'

Similar thing happens w/ the girl who's subconsciously afraid - but she's not keeping herself at a distance b/c of her swing, but because of her fear. It's like she thinks to herself, at some level she might not be aware of, 'How can I hit this ball hard while also keeping the ball at a distance from me. I need to hit the ball after I've extended my arms a little bit.'

What do y'all think of that?

IMO, it's important for the hitter to realize she needs to be comfortable hitting a ball close to her. Better yet, she needs to want to hit a ball close to her. Needs to have the mentality that she wants to be up close and personal with the bell, let it enter the wheelhouse. I think a lot of hitters struggle with that in games. Many who are capable fall short because they just don't have the comfort level for it, like this Michigan girl here does --

Any truth in this discourse? Otherwise, I have no solution to a player who will not step straight even when you expressly ask her to do it pitch to pitch during live hitting. It's getting so hard that the only solution is to go to a side-stance, no-stride approach, and even then she cheats a little.

Sierra_Romero.jpg

IMO this is one of the prime reasons that an increasing number of hitters start open i.e., RH batter w/ shoulders and hips aligned more or less with the 3B foul line. From that "out" starting position, there is no choice but to step "in".

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
In addition to GM'S advise, I'd recommend trying a closed stance as well. It will take that same outward stride and make it go more towards the pitcher rather than the 3B. It also forces more coil in the back hip.... just a thought. It works with a lot of 10u kids I see, but have never tried it with a 16u.

The other option is to tie a bungee cord to her stride foot and have it pulling towards 3rd. She will be forced to use muscle in her inner thigh to prevent the pull out and step straight. In return all this new muscle activity will start to create muscle memory in the span of the stride. It works in all aspects of hitting, but I'd suggest progressively going from tee into toss and then into live. Do about 20 cuts of each. After 60+ swings with that bungee pulling on her groin muscle, she will automatically start to step inward, and eventually back straight. Works like a magic wand! Do this drill everyday for one week and presto!

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I don't think it's residual fear as much as it is a problem that's been there all along but never been corrected. Maybe no on ever picked up on it; maybe they hit the ball hard at the lower levels and nobody wanted to mess with the swing. I say this because I've dealt with a number of 12-14U kids who step off line when they throw, and I don't see where that could be a fear issue.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
One question I would ask: Does she open up the left side early, but not step out, during tee work and soft toss? Does the front foot stay closed? If not, it's possible that it is more of a mechanical issue the is exacerbated by game situation. My softball catcher doesn't have this issue, but my baseball catcher does. We didn't catch it soon enough and is really hard to fix in the middle/end of the season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00