Steal/Bunt coverage to combat cat & mouse game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2017
I coach a 12u tourney team, and I'm looking for recommendations for what types of bunt coverages/defensive strategies to employ when the opponent has runners on base. I especially looking for advice on what bunt coverage/steal defense to use when they are showing bunt in order to steal either second or third base. (I obviously realize every situation is a little different, so even some general guidance is appreciated.)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Develop "i go" communication!
With
Develop "range" = Defensive players respondsibility to get to the ball.
Learn range to attack the ball.

Learning curve on who gets what.
Starts with simultaneous
"i go" and sprinting!
Share how this "reaction to the ball"
decision needs to be as soon as possible...
When the ball hits the bat!

Its a verbal reaction with get there....
Similar to "ball ball" in the air
However less time
(usually on bunts)

Lets throw runners out!!! :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Runner on first, batter squares, usual defense, SS covers 2nd in case of steal, pitcher or 3rd baseman-whoever doesn't field the bunt retreats to cover 3rd. Runner on 2nd, batter squares, SS breaks to 3rd to cover on the steal, everyone else covers as usual. That's how we usually do it, there are some other coverages, you can also have the outfielders involved.

Jul 2, 2013
At 12u, DD's team did a "1 back" or "3 back" defense. The coach would call out what he wanted and that base would stay back. Pitcher, catcher, and the other base would cover the bunt.

DD's 16u now and they cover mostly like @ArmWhip described above.

Jun 11, 2013
3b should always charge and have SS cover the next base from where runner started in case bunt is not put down and they try and steal.

As far as the bunt coverage if down at 12U just make sure you get the out every time. If they want to give you an out take it. If you start getting the out ever time you can then work up to getting the lead runner more.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
We have multiple defenses that are color coded. One color is for slapper defense, 2nd base covers the steal. Another color is the first baseman stays backs. Another color, 3rd base drops back just before the pitch to cover the bag, this can get you in trouble if used at the wrong time. If the 3rd baseman drops back too early that gives the coach or runner too much time to change the plan.

Normal defense is corners up, and SS covers the steal.

When fake bunting we train are batters to show the bunt late. If the batter shows the bunt too early the SS has more time to get to 3rd base and cover the bag. The other side of showing the bunt too early would be if the batter is slashing (fake bunt/swing). If the batter slashes a poorly trained SS will leave a big hole up the middle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying