Stay in Softball - Nonprofit Organization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
This is from the Ohio Forum
Please consider donating to this cause:

This is a fairly remarkable young lady working to make a difference.
We have all talked about "what can we do to help" here's a young lady doing it.

Stay in Softball

My name is Meghan McKeogh. I am 13 years old and I play softball for Valley Extreme 14u (Kelm) and also Chagrin Falls 14u.

I would like to tell The Softball Zone users about an organization I recently started called Stay in Softball. Stay in Softball (SIS) is a non profit organization that helps girls that want to play softball, but are having some kind of difficulty, keep playing softball.

I got the idea for Stay in Softball after my mom had surgery a few months ago. She couldn?t do much for about six weeks. During that time, families from my ChagrinFalls softball team made us dinners and delivered them to us and helped us out. We were all really grateful for the help and it helped me keep on playing and practicing softball during that time. I wanted to help people the same way.

Stay in Softball grew from there after I started thinking about other girls who might also need help. Some girls might not be able to afford equipment or fees. Some girls might have a family or personal emergency like getting hurt or having a parent with a health problem or who loses their job. There might be several girls in a community who want to play but the community no longer has a rec program. All of these are girls that we want to help.

That is a lot, so we have picked a few things to start with. We are: 1) setting up an emergency fund for players who have some kind of emergency; 2) doing free clinics all over Ohio for girls who want to get better but do not have the money for clinics or private coaches; and 3) collecting used equipment to donate to players or teams that need it.

To do some of those things we need to raise money. We have come up with a few ideas to start with and are already working on them, but they are not ready to announce yet. We will be posting those on our website very soon and hope that you would like to support them.

Even though we just started, we have already done some things to help girls stay in softball. Last month, we helped a player from the Coventry Fury whose mother has cancer. To help, we donated a new Demarini CF7 bat that I recently got since I broke my bat last season and a gift basket to raffle off at a spaghetti dinner and raffle that the Fury held for the family. We also donated money. The whole event raised $15,000 for the family. We will be putting pictures from the dinner and of the player who won the bat on our website soon.

We are also holding a free clinic for girls in the Cleveland area on March 29th at the Earn it Athletic Academy in Euclid. We are paying for the field time and the coaches and players from Valley Extreme are coaching and helping at the clinic. We are also in the process of collecting used equipment for the clinic because some of the girls who have already signed up do not have their own equipment. We contacted local rec teams and CYO teams to tell them about the clinic. We had one rec program thank us for doing the clinic because this was the first year they were not able to put on a free clinic for their rec players because they could not get gym time in their city. There are still 6 spots left for the clinic, so if you know of a player who would like to come, they can sign up by e mail at stayinsoftball@gmail.com.

This is very long already and there is a lot more to say, so I am hoping you will want to learn more about Stay in Softball. We are working on ourwebsite: stayinsoftball.com so you can read a lot more soon. Thank you for reading and thank you to Mr. Moorehead and Mr. Baker for your help and for this website!

Meghan McKeogh

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
This cause has received a very warm response in Ohio where it started, and Meghan and her family are working feverishly to get everything set up, including development of the website. I've had the pleasure of meeting Meghan and her parents, and they are wonderful people who are very committed to helping others. I know they have some ideas about growing it outside of Ohio, but that may take a little time. I am sure there will be more updates to come!

Jeff Baker

Aug 6, 2013
This cause has received a very warm response in Ohio where it started, and Meghan and her family are working feverishly to get everything set up, including development of the website. I've had the pleasure of meeting Meghan and her parents, and they are wonderful people who are very committed to helping others. I know they have some ideas about growing it outside of Ohio, but that may take a little time. I am sure there will be more updates to come!

Jeff Baker

Jeff - Thanks for the reply, What Meghan is doing is the kind of stuff we all say "oughta be done"
I would love to see this grow in to a movement - One of the impediments that is always talked about when the discussion of growing the sport comes up is the cost and the training - These are two things Meghan is addressing.

If we can help her in Ohio - maybe it will inspire others in other parts of the country to do something.

Mar 20, 2015
Thank you very much for cross-posting this information Cobb (and thanks to you and Jeff for leading me to this great new site!).

I am Karen, Meg's mom and wanted to provide an update on the initial post that Meghan posted on the Ohio forum on Tuesday. Since Tuesday, she has received about 20 offers of help including offers to donate money, equipment and time. It has been great to see. We have also worked hard to get the website up and running. We have a few of the pages done and hope to get all of it done by the end of the weekend. So, if you have a few minutes and want to see what girls in Ohio are trying to do to help fellow players, please check out our site at Stay in Softball - Home Thank you!

Aug 6, 2013
Karen -
You are doing a great job, I think Meghans project is a great effort. It is so good to see kids willing to help out others.

I hope everyone takes a look at this posting and at least checks out your website.

A small donation from all the people on this site would go a very long way and anyone willing to take up the flag in their area to help out the less fortunate would be great.

Mar 20, 2015
Karen -
You are doing a great job, I think Meghans project is a great effort. It is so good to see kids willing to help out others.

I hope everyone takes a look at this posting and at least checks out your website.

A small donation from all the people on this site would go a very long way and anyone willing to take up the flag in their area to help out the less fortunate would be great.

Thank you very much for the support! She has been really working hard on this. She put the Facebook page up on Sunday and has over 200 followers. She is also very excited for our first free clinic on Sunday for rec and CYO players in Cleveland. She has collected enough used equipment so that the girls who have signed up who do not have their own equipment can go home with a new (to them) bat. I have also taken her to area sporting good stores where she has asked for donations, sponsorships and/or discounted items. We are working on a few other things as well that aren't quite ready to publicize yet. She is so excited to come home from school every day and check her messages and Facebook page. There is always someone new who wants to help or get involved.

If anyone wants to follow our activities and progress, the Facebook page is
www.Facebook.com/stayinsoftball

Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez