Speed isn't everything

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Like money, speed isn't everything, but it is certainly something! While hitters will catch up as mentioned, the decreased reaction time due to faster speeds is still nothing to sneeze at. Hitters 'catching up' to a pitcher lends to the effectiveness of a changeup...which in turn hinders them 'catching up' to the FB...

My DD throws a very deceptive and effective changeup as her best pitch. It is her CU that makes her FB 'good enough.' When we talk about how to improve the CU, increasing FB speed to accomplish this is always part of the conversation.

Yes, 'stuff' is good. A faster FB makes your 'stuff' pitches even more effective IMO.
VW

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
In my mind, command has to be a "given". No matter what pitch you throw, you dont have a pitch regardless of the speed you throw it, or the amount of break, unless you have command- THERE IS NO DEFENSE AGAINST A WALK. SO, assuming you have good command the question comes down to speed vs movement. Certainly having both is the best scenario, but IMO it is better to have raw speed & try to strive for more movement than the other way around, because some girls just dont have the raw material to get the speed to be competetive.

Sep 9, 2009
Our 18Gold team has a range of pitching talent. Our HS Senior starter has good speed, great control, with great movement and averages 9 strikeouts per game against high quality 18U/18 Gold teams. The second starter (a HS Freshman) has good speed, good control, and good movement and had the lowest ERA this past fall season. Our second HS Senior has great speed with good control and decent movement but tended to have the ball hit more often. My daughter, (HS Freshman) has great speed but the least control and movement, had the highest ERA and got beat the most on the mound. So after our first season at the highest level before college I'd say it is, control, movement, and then speed.

Both our seniors are signed and will play in college and the other freshman will get signed but if you ask our coach who has the most upside for the college level he would tell you my daughter. The thought is that she will gain control and master ball movement but the catalyst is going to be speed because by the time she is a senior in HS she will hit the mid/upper 60’s.

I am reminded of the transition from college football to the pros. There are a lot of college players who are incredible athletes of average size but there are only a handful of players that are athletes with size & speed that move on to play professionally.

I still believe the order of importance is Control, Movement, & Speed but if control and movement are equal between two pitchers it will be speed that will make the difference between Div I, Div II and so on. Just my NEHO (Non Expert Humble Opinion)

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I agree with Mark, there are minimums. I would venture to say that the minimum for D1 would be 55mph. Some would say that is slow, but then the minimum should not be incredibly fast. To get by at that minimum the location must be almost perfect. And just as important the ability to change speeds has to be there with the same command. Ball movement is not that critical if you have these. imo. What this hypothetical pitcher would do is absolutely eat up many D1 hitters, who have their whole careers trained to hit the fast stuff.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Theoretically, I think 55 mph would be the minimum. That would be with a good kid who has a great movement pitch and great control.

Since Osterman throws 60 mph, the theoretical pitcher would need better control than Osterman and better breaking pitchers than Osterman.

CAVEAT:

Most parents couldn't identify a movement pitch if it hit them in the face (which, by the way, a good pitcher should be able to do to her 40 YOA Dad if she had a good riseball). Most parents also believe that "control" means being able to put a fastball down the middle of the plate.

Please, parents, don't assume your little muffin is destined for D1 with a marginal riseball and a 55 mph fastball.

I would have added "and control of spin axis".

I agree with that Mark, that's what I meant.

When the girls were younger - 12A, the really hard throwers could blast a pitch right down the middle and get most batters. At 16A that ain't happening. The girls that still only have speed are getting blasted out of the park. You gotta have the whole package, speed, control, movement - and the ability to sell that change up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad