Softball vs. Baseball swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It was a simple question. In the photo Pujols' rear foot is off of the ground. Does that support your assertion that the weight always remains back?

With Pujols' rear foot off of the ground, where is his center of pressure felt ... the front foot or rear foot? The answer is not his rear foot, as it is off of the ground.

Would it make more sense if we thought about the swing as a shift in the "center of mass" or "center of gravity" instead of a weight transfer??? My hypothesis is that the better hitters have a smaller range of motion of the pre- to post-swing COM/COG than the less succesfull ones because there's less movement (particularly the head/eyes) and there's less effort involved in staying balanced. Just pondering

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think it can be observed that a high percentage (but not 100%) of highly successful female fastpitch hitters load with the bat more horizontal where as a very good number of baseball hitters have the bat more vertical and tip the barrel towards the pitcher.

This may be because of pitch plane or it may have something to do with upper body strength.

Much of the swing itself is the same.

Silly distinction for any coach to make in my opinion. Good softball swings and baseball swings have more in common than not and anyone who makes a clear distinction has much to learn about softball and is insulting the many excellent hitters in the game who would not say the have a softball swing. They would say they have a good swing. Just focus on the swing and don't bother saying "I'm going to teach a baseball swing". It's not baseball. It's softball.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2012
It was a simple question. In the photo Pujols' rear foot is off of the ground. Does that support your assertion that the weight always remains back?

With Pujols' rear foot off of the ground, where is his center of pressure felt ... the front foot or rear foot? The answer is not his rear foot, as it is off of the ground.

ummmmmm.... what photo are you looking at? his rear foot is not off the ground. If his rear foot was off the ground, he'd fall over backwards.

Jan 25, 2011
ummmmmm.... what photo are you looking at? his rear foot is not off the ground. If his rear foot was off the ground, he'd fall over backwards.
sorry but I have watched many videos of Pujols.His foot comes up only very little but it does come up at or around contact.My dd also does the samething and she doesnt fall over backwards,it isnt like it up for long or very high.

Oct 25, 2009

Many, maybe most, high level batters' rear foot is off of the ground just before and at point of contact. After contact it touches the ground again. This is the effect of getting the butt into the ball.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

You ask what photo ... but there has only been one photo posted in the thread so far. Here ... I'll post it again. You see that space between the ground and his foot? That's air. Trust me ... he's not in the process of falling over backwards.

21nmuz9.jpg

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In fact, when Pujols hit a ball out of Minute Maid Park a few years ago, his back foot was way off the ground. As FFS knows, this is not limited to Pujols. FFS, I'm betting if you had the time and energy, you could find a few examples of very good female players doing the same. Here is Jen yee's swing from that website that features her. It shows her back foot coming off of the ground.
Jenswingplane1.jpg

I just can't seem to upload these and get them to work. FFS, do you have the video "Jenswingplane1?" It is Jen Lee and it shows her back foot coming off of the ground.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut