So when do you start calling the college coaches? And videos...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
If you have emailed them about yourself and have been sending email updates re: exposures; game/field times; stat updates; achievement updates...when do you start calling them? And I know that the player can call them but they (college coaches) can't call players until Sept 1 of junior year. Is it expected that the players make first move re: phone etiquette?

And I would love to know what videos y'all use to send to them. We want to do our own, but have no clue how and would like to keep it cheap and minimal (timewise) - more to the point. Problem is, she plays corners in addition to be RHP. She wants to showcase both positions. Will be interesting to keep that short. And we also will be doing a video of her sports specific conditioning (to show her strength and athleticism). Just curious what apps you used, and if you used a camera or smartphone. We are tentatively on the market for a GoPro but I am not sure how user friendly it is to edit the videos to our liking (total newbie here in video editing).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I bought a used Kodak Sport on Ebay for $40. It comes with some editing software that you could use to splice together a skills video. Which position do you think your DD will be recruited to play in college? I would make that the primary focus of the video. You can also make one short video - to send to college coaches, and a longer version for anyone who likes the short video and would like to see more.

As for calling college coaches, I think it depends on what level college ball your DD wants to play. If you go to Goldfastpitch.com and sort the list by schools you can get an idea of what year recruiting class school are currently working on. A lot of D1 schools are now recruiting 2017 and 2018 players, while D2 and D3 schools are 2016 and 2017.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I bought a used Kodak Sport on Ebay for $40. It comes with some editing software that you could use to splice together a skills video. Which position do you think your DD will be recruited to play in college? I would make that the primary focus of the video. You can also make one short video - to send to college coaches, and a longer version for anyone who likes the short video and would like to see more.

As for calling college coaches, I think it depends on what level college ball your DD wants to play. If you go to Goldfastpitch.com and sort the list by schools you can get an idea of what year recruiting class school are currently working on. A lot of D1 schools are now recruiting 2017 and 2018 players, while D2 and D3 schools are 2016 and 2017.

Keep in mind that unless you are a pitcher or catcher you are being recruited as a hitter. Beyond that they want to see your athletic skills on defense regardless of the position. Where you play more often than not will change in college, sometimes more than once. The more positions you can play the more flexibility the coach has to insert you into the lineup and utilize your hitting skills. Adding some actual game footage of actual AB's is a good idea. Anyone can jack the ball over the fence in front toss.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi