smaller 13 yr old swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How about you teach the swing how you think it should be taught and I'll teach how I think it should be taught.
We can agree to disagree because I'm fine with that.
Shhhhhhoooot. RDB you know I dont trust those damn lab coats either.
If I'm not mistaking aren't you in that field.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thats good info. It lets me know the guy should have started his swing .015 later. Then he would have hit the ball at the best possible point in his swing.

Again, I've pointed at the reason for posting the paper as a source of my info. It's a scientist description of their observation of the swinger. I'm guessing the swinger wasn't a pro nor a HL hitter. So, if the information fits your model/mold of a HL hitter, I'm pleased. I'll rely on the Hanson Principle with supporting videos.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
How about you teach the swing how you think it should be taught and I'll teach how I think it should be taught.
We can agree to disagree because I'm fine with that.

If I'm not mistaking aren't you in that field.

How or what you teach has never been my concern, RDB. Im just discussing the smallest details of hitting. Nor do I care what you do for a living. Nothing personal.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Again, I've pointed at the reason for posting the paper as a source of my info. It's a scientist description of their observation of the swinger. I'm guessing the swinger wasn't a pro nor a HL hitter. So, if the information fits your model/mold of a HL hitter, I'm pleased. I'll rely on the Hanson Principle with supporting videos.

It was a handful of minor leaguers. The lab coats put reflectors on them and measured weight transfer with pressure plates and other used other forms of witchcraft to compile their data. The data does juxtapose nicely with todays slowmo camera footage.

Jan 13, 2012
I think there has to be some delineation between "feel" and scientific reality. The terms we use, like "rear hip pivot point," "HPP," "swivel," are terms that are very good feel-based descriptors of the high-level baseball/softball swing. For most players/coaches, you're never going to need anything more than that, just because the science isn't relevant to most players. Those terms will get the desired result if properly taught and applied, which is really all that matters.

The scientific understanding of the swing is going to be very different. The front leg, in every swing, will push back, though it's not a conscious move. It shouldn't be taught and it doesn't need to be taught; it's a result of Newton's laws. Circular hand path is something that happens in pretty much every swing (excluding "drive the knob at the ball" swings). It's a result of the bat head's motion and shouldn't be taught. I guess what I'm saying is this: the scientific element is fascinating for those so inclined, but it is worthless to try to incorporate it into instruction. You really don't need to do it!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How or what you teach has never been my concern, RDB. Im just discussing the smallest details of hitting. Nor do I care what you do for a living. Nothing personal.

Good thing....
chris-farley.gif

Sep 17, 2009
biomechanics vs physics. physics can "explain" every swing -- good or bad. the secret sauce is in *how* you move, ie, the biomechanics of the swing, the goals of that movement (power, adjustability, timing, etc) and how you achieve them.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
biomechanics vs physics. physics can "explain" every swing -- good or bad. the secret sauce is in *how* you move, ie, the biomechanics of the swing, the goals of that movement (power, adjustability, timing, etc) and how you achieve them.

I agree....:
Science explains EVERYONE'S swing. The good ones. And the bad ones. I have yet to find a scientist who can explain the high level swing properly. And we won't find one until one of them can swing in the high level pattern

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321