Small Ball Defense problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
I coach a 10u TB team that is just now seeing some success and starting to win some games. I have one problem. The first baseman is somewhat of a larger girl and is unable to move very quick. My third and second are quick. I have two catchers who are squirrely and have strong arms (not always accurate but strong).
Currently on bunt coverage I have first stay on the bag, second move to second, SS cover third, crash 3rd, P, and C. We have decent coverage but I want opinions on crashing second, third, P, and C. Having SS cover 2nd and first stay on the bag. Anyone have any opinions besides recruit a faster first baseman?

Sep 29, 2014
Crashing second is pretty useless unless you are going to position her next to the pitcher, she can't crash fast enough even from the baseline to get a runner. If 3B is really athletic and has a good arm and gets a good jump between her and the pitcher and the catcher should get most ball. Would actually be interesting to somehow get stats on who fields the most bunts but my guess would be 3B and P get the most then maybe C, I would guess 1B is last but that is assuming all things are equal. In this case after an inning it is going to be obvious what is going on and my guess is you will have more bunts down the 1B line. Unless it really got crazy I would just keep doing what you are doing, maybe work with a good 1B backup that you put in and the end of the game if you are only up one or two runs who can cover better.....but then again we are talking 10U right, probably just let the girls play?

Jun 11, 2013
At 10U we always left 1st back to cover and it was fine. P an 3rd handled most of them fine. As you get older you need to have 1st crash at least on some rotations, but for now I would leave it the way you have it.

Jan 23, 2014
10u is the only travel ball I am familiar with right now. Almost every team has 1st crash bunts and I am having trouble thinking of a time I've seen the first baseman field the bunt. Possibly when it is much closer to 1b side. I would just leave it as is for now.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
At 10U we always left 1st back to cover and it was fine. P an 3rd handled most of them fine. As you get older you need to have 1st crash at least on some rotations, but for now I would leave it the way you have it.

This is how we did it in 10U as well, but only if you have an athletic pitcher that can cover the left side. At 12U, girls will bunt to your weakness so you might want to start working that 1st basemen to get up the line quicker.

"Slow first baseman" and "bunt defense" are mutually exclusive. You need to leave her back and let P and 3B crash.

Do move her in a step or two on obvious bunting situations so she can field mis-hit (or purposely-hit) bunts that travel a long way up the line. That is what my girls would do to you if they spot a slow first baseman .... try and put it up the line 30-40' and maybe a bit toward where the second baseman plays in terms of angle. They would make her field it .... so you better be ready for it.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
Thanks for the input guys. It has worked for us up to this point. I like the input about the 12U level as we are moving up in August. Will have to make some adjustments.

Jun 7, 2013
I agree. Even if you have an athletic 1B, how often does 2B get over in time to cover the base and then actually catch it? For 10U it is probably best in a bunt situation to post 3B and 1B (as a threat more than a promise) up the line about 20 feet. Upon a bunt, 1B retreats to the bag and 3B and P cover it.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I agree. Even if you have an athletic 1B, how often does 2B get over in time to cover the base and then actually catch it? For 10U it is probably best in a bunt situation to post 3B and 1B (as a threat more than a promise) up the line about 20 feet. Upon a bunt, 1B retreats to the bag and 3B and P cover it.

This was the reason we left 1st back on a bunt in 10U. I can't tell you how many times our pitcher came up and fired a shot to 1st on a bunt and our 2nd basemen was no where close. I talked to a number of 10U coaches and they had the same problem. We went to 1st base stays back and never missed another throw. Now at the 12U level, the 2nd baseman is more athletic as well as the 1st baseman. However, I have found that a slow roller down the 1st base line and a push bunt to where the 2nd baseman vacated their spot to cover 1st are great tools to have in your offensive arsenal.

Jun 18, 2013
Just to be the differing opinion here, we have our 2nd and 3rd crash as soon as the batter shows bunt. Short covers 3rd and CF comes in to cover 2nd. If it is hit up the line, 2nd gets to it before the C or P do. If it is hit up third base line then C falls off and lets 3rd get it because she has a better angle at the throw and can bare hand it. Generally, anything else not hit right back at the P the C will get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi