Show bunt then swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If parents are worried they should put their kid in a mask. Don't wait for a rule to mandate it or make your child safer. You already have the ability to make it happen.

Feb 3, 2011
All the rules in the world will not make this an injury-proof game. Facial/head injuries are always given more scrutiny, but the risk is very small.

For proponents of making it a rule, would you also ban slappers
Yes.

Ok, I would not actually ban slappers from the game, but I would charge a 3rd strike on a slap attempt that went foul on a 2-strike count.

Nov 29, 2009
If parents are worried they should put their kid in a mask. Don't wait for a rule to mandate it or make your child safer. You already have the ability to make it happen.

This a a girl who played for me as a 1st year 14U player. She always wore her mask when pitching and playing 1st base when she was on my team.

Baranek: Accident gives Andrew pitcher Josie Magnabosco clear view on mask - Daily Southtown

She went to play for another organization that frowns upon players wearing masks. The mindset is it makes the players look weak to the college coaches.

Until it becomes more commonplace for the pitchers and corners in college wearing masks the old "toughness" mindset will not go away. I always told my players masks are optional with the decision being made by the families. Mouth guards were mandatory.

When a testing lab steps up and certifies a set of standards similar to those in place for batting helmets and masks like NOCASE, no sanctioning body is going to mandate the mandatory use of masks. It's a byproduct of our overly-litigious society. Everyone is afraid of the possible legal costs that can be incurred.

Nov 29, 2009
Yes.

Ok, I would not actually ban slappers from the game, but I would charge a 3rd strike on a slap attempt that went foul on a 2-strike count.

That's fine and dandy. But how are you going to balance out the fairness of the rule? Will it only take 3 balls for a slapper to get a BB?

Mar 1, 2015
https://m.facebook.com/Firecrackers...2383415276/1014779058613608/?type=3&source=48

HS game, batter show bunt, F1 charges in and takes hard hit to face when batter swings away. Not wearing a mask.

This really bothers me. I wish masks were mandatory through high school, but that's been debated here already.

I think showing bunt should mandate a bunt or taken pitch.

60' bases are too close to allow hitting after drawing in the defense with a bunt fake, especially with today's composite bats and some players not wearing masks. In this example, a mask could have prevented the facial fractures, but don't know if it could have prevented the broken neck.

I cringe when I see a batter pull back and swing when the corners are charging in. I've never seen anything like like this, but I have seen some close calls.

What do you think? I know my opinion is radical. Is the risk smaller than I am thinking?

Yes, the risk is small. This was an isolated incident. I know that I will get blasted by 99% of everyone here, but this was one incident in how many games played this year??? And how many people were injured in car accidents driving to and from games this year? I don't have official numbers but am confident that more people were taken to the hospital in a stretcher driving to/from softball than playing softball this year. I know of two people that were in a bad accident driving home from practice not too long ago. And I know of another who was killed driving home from a high school practice, all within my 30 mile radius.

I've seen the FB post, and the comments calling for mandatory mask. Where's the call for mandatory roll cages in cars, and helmets for passengers?

Let me have it....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
https://m.facebook.com/Firecrackers...2383415276/1014779058613608/?type=3&source=48

HS game, batter show bunt, F1 charges in and takes hard hit to face when batter swings away. Not wearing a mask.

This really bothers me. I wish masks were mandatory through high school, but that's been debated here already.

I think showing bunt should mandate a bunt or taken pitch.

60' bases are too close to allow hitting after drawing in the defense with a bunt fake, especially with today's composite bats and some players not wearing masks. In this example, a mask could have prevented the facial fractures, but don't know if it could have prevented the broken neck.

I cringe when I see a batter pull back and swing when the corners are charging in. I've never seen anything like like this, but I have seen some close calls.

What do you think? I know my opinion is radical. Is the risk smaller than I am thinking?

If most people believe the masks should be mandatory, why aren't most of the players wearing them?

This has nothing to do with the rule sets, but the parents and coaches. If it is that important, why do the parents and coaches allow the players on the field without the masks.

Demand for a mandatory rule concerning important equipment is about as ridiculous as those who aren't smart enough to vote out a bad rep demanding term limits :)

Nov 29, 2009
Let me have it....

Let me continue the analogy.

Seat belt use Mandatory and effective.

Air bags Mandatory and effective.

Crash avoidance systems Optional and effective

Anti-lock brakes Optional and effective.

Crash rating standards by the gov't Mandatory and effective.

Even with all of the millions spent on safety each year there are still fatalities and serious injuries every day. The above items help lessen the numbers per number of miles driven.

There is risk when we ride in a vehicle. There is risk when players step on to the field. Reducing the risk with the use of a mask should be a no-brainer.

Someone had posted a video of a younger pitcher getting hit in the mask. She was shaken up but not seriously hurt. I couldn't find it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Let me continue the analogy.

Seat belt use Mandatory and effective.

Air bags Mandatory and effective.

Crash avoidance systems Optional and effective

Anti-lock brakes Optional and effective.

Crash rating standards by the gov't Mandatory and effective.

Even with all of the millions spent on safety each year there are still fatalities and serious injuries every day. The above items help lessen the numbers per number of miles driven.

There is risk when we ride in a vehicle. There is risk when players step on to the field. Reducing the risk with the use of a mask should be a no-brainer.

Someone had posted a video of a younger pitcher getting hit in the mask. She was shaken up but not seriously hurt. I couldn't find it.

Of course, it is a no brainer, especially when those whining about the lack of a rule are the same people who should be demanding them be worn without a mandate.

Do any players go on the field without a glove or mitt? If not, ask yourself "why not". Because it would be ridiculous for a player to play defense without a glove, right? ASA has no rule requiring it, yet no defender goes on the field without one, do they?

Sep 29, 2014
If most people believe the masks should be mandatory, why aren't most of the players wearing them?

This has nothing to do with the rule sets, but the parents and coaches. If it is that important, why do the parents and coaches allow the players on the field without the masks.

Demand for a mandatory rule concerning important equipment is about as ridiculous as those who aren't smart enough to vote out a bad rep demanding term limits :)

depends what most means HS and 16U in the area around here I would guess pitcher use is probably well over 90%+; 1B and 3B is probably well over 75% and even SS and 2B is probably over 50%.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad