Should Texas' Hoaglund have been ejected?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the second game of the regional, Taylor Hoaglund of Texas was on third and another runner was on 1st. There was a groundball on the infield, and they made the play at home. Hoaglund was out by a mile. Hoaglund then started grabbing at the glove of the catcher, trying to force the ball out. The runners advanced to 3rd and 2nd while Hoaglund was wrestling the catcher for the ball.

The umpires either failed to to see the altercation or refused to call interference. It was really disgraceful to see a player act that way.

What happened to sportsmanship in these games?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Ejected and runners moved back due to interference is how I saw it . I understand Cuico getting ejected after the warning but the 2 game suspension seems excessive . The problem is if you don't eject Hoagland and suspend her how do you justify doing the same to Cuico for a far less offensive play ?

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
And justice is served . It happens so rarely but it makes me happy to see Hoagland going home and Oregon moving on and this is coming from someone who is not an Oregon fan (mainly because they play us in football) .

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Punk move. She should've been tossed like a salad. And the only post-season play that the involved umpiring crew should see for the rest of this year's WCWS should be on TV.

Mar 31, 2012
Was at the NCAA woman's lax semifinal in Stony Brook yesterday. Gators apparent game-winning goal in overtime with .09 remaining DISALLOWED after a stick check shows an illegal pocket.

Syracuse answers with a now sudden-death goal. They go into a big hug-fest before any stick-check behind the net and in the midst of it a teamate snatches the shooters stick and yanks the strings to take any pocket out of it.

Shouldn't have been an overtime since Syracuse was up 12-5 at the half, but here's the video. Pretty funny, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WqQLUmDh_k

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I saw the oregan catcher holding the glove up into hoaglands body much longer then needed. I think hoagland was pushing glove off her, not trying to knock the ball out.

Oct 25, 2009
What Hoagland did was much more flagrant and violent than the action of the ejected player.

It seems there was a Texas fan behind the plate instead of an umpire.

Apr 1, 2010
I was SO pleased when Oregon bounced Texas from post-season play. That was a rotten move from Hoagland, not that I expect much niceness from a longhorn. I like Connie Clark, but Texas killed the Big Eight conference and I'll always despise them for that.

I'm crying over Mizzou though. If only Coach Earl had taken Thomas out one inning earlier; she was just too tired and while she's not easy to hit off, the LSU team had too many looks at her... But I'm taking heart that they got a long way for a team full of freshmen. Next year they'll be in the SEC and I may get to see them more on TV!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG