Should pitchers bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Let her swing away. She needs to hit. There is enough reasons listed above.

Oh riseball. I believe Ted Williams would not concur with your statement.

“I think without question the hardest single thing to do in sport is to hit a baseball”.

Which is why all the hitters get full scholarships and the pitchers only get the partial scholarships right?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Every player at every position needs to hit. Top hitters will ALWAYS be in the lineup, even if they aren't playing their best/favorite defensive position.

Even at the top levels of our sport, a pitcher who can hit is a valuable asset. Watching a UCLA game earlier this year, Ally Carda (UCLA's top pitcher) hit a walk-off single to win the game for herself.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It is not a question of if pitchers should or should not hit. Pitchers are the only ones that can add enough value where they do not need to hit in order to earn a spot on the roster. Everyone else better hit, and hit well.

Jan 18, 2011
Which is why all the hitters get full scholarships and the pitchers only get the partial scholarships right?

I never said pitching was easy but I wouldn't say everyone could hit either. They both need to be worked on. Besides there are a lot more athletes working on hitting than there are working on pitching. Everyone wants to hit but not everyone wants to pitch and everyone who wants to hit doesn't always hit well.

I agree it takes a special dedication to pitch and they are harder to find. Hopefully with this forum that will change and I believe you yourself have stated that the younger pitcher seem to be better than before.

I also don't agree with the scholarship that they hand out. I believe it is lopsided not that the pitcher don't deserve it but I believe some exceptional positional players also deserve full rides also. I mean if my brother-in-law can get a full ride in college for punting, then why can't the female athletes get full rides for positional playing? That I'll never know. Well, that's not true, I know it's about the money or so it seems.

I'm not trying to start anything here, really. I just didn't like the generic statement that anyone can hit because it can be turned around and said anyone can pitch (both need instruction). It comes down to who wants it and who doesn't. I myself work with pitchers, I'm on your side really.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We are getting to the age of making decisions for college. It will be interesting if she decides to play as a position player or a pitcher. While the fan in me would like her to choose position player, the parent in me wants her to choose pitcher for the extra scholarship $$.

If your DD is good enough to bat and play a position when she is not pitching why does she have to choose? Jenny Finch played 1B and hit when she was not pitching, so it can be done!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It is not a question of if pitchers should or should not hit. Pitchers are the only ones that can add enough value where they do not need to hit in order to earn a spot on the roster. Everyone else better hit, and hit well.

I would take a great catcher with a mediocre bat.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...as a pitcher, she is not expected to be able to bat. They don't do it in professional baseball.

This is one place where softball and baseball are different.

Geri Ann Glasco pitched for Oregon on Saturday, and went 2-for-3. On Sunday, she was the DP and hit 3 HRs.

In a game a few weeks ago, UCLA's Ally Carda hit a walk-off RBI single to win the game for herself.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I never said pitching was easy but I wouldn't say everyone could hit either. They both need to be worked on. Besides there are a lot more athletes working on hitting than there are working on pitching. Everyone wants to hit but not everyone wants to pitch and everyone who wants to hit doesn't always hit well.

I agree it takes a special dedication to pitch and they are harder to find. Hopefully with this forum that will change and I believe you yourself have stated that the younger pitcher seem to be better than before.

I also don't agree with the scholarship that they hand out. I believe it is lopsided not that the pitcher don't deserve it but I believe some exceptional positional players also deserve full rides also. I mean if my brother-in-law can get a full ride in college for punting, then why can't the female athletes get full rides for positional playing? That I'll never know. Well, that's not true, I know it's about the money or so it seems.

I'm not trying to start anything here, really. I just didn't like the generic statement that anyone can hit because it can be turned around and said anyone can pitch (both need instruction). It comes down to who wants it and who doesn't. I myself work with pitchers, I'm on your side really.

Former player of mine is a stud SS at a JUCO. She received a full package for next year to transfer to Louisville for her last 2 seasons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1