Should pitchers bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In college most teams are stacked with great hitters, so pitchers have to be exceptional to continue batting, but in TB and HS I recommend pitchers continue to work on their hitting.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think pitchers should hit. If she is any good at it it gives her more opportunities to play. I also think pitchers should practice fielding and should learn other positions.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How many things can you really be great at, and get school work done. Sure there are some. I would prefer that my daughter NEVER had to pick up a bat! Many times we get so caught up in getting kids to do every thing that what winds up happining is....mediocraty at best.
I've heard this about not playing other sports but never to only play half of one in HS

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Hit Away

Be great at both, the no time for both thing is used to much. There is always time. Your husband is wrong.

Its about having a schedule, and at least trying to stick to it. You could easily get 10-15 minutes of tee work and soft toss in before heavy throwing days. Then, on a light throwing day she could get a full lesson in with a hitting coach.

We try to schedule hitting lessons and pitching in bunches on certain days. That leaves DD 1-2 off days per week (she likes Fridays off). DD throws in some way on Sun, Mon, Tues. Works Drive Mechanics on Thurs. Spins(5-10 minutes) Fri or Sat. She has hitting lessons on Tues. She is also an honor roll student, plays volleyball, and finds more than enough time to hang out with friends and play on her phone.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
What's best for the team? or
Maybe she'll one day decide to quit pitching and now hasn't spent any time on hitting.... oops
There aren't many quality teams that have a need for an ex pitcher who can't hit. I suggest working on ALL aspects of the game.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
1) your husband is wrong. Softball is a different sport than baseball. we are not talking seasoned professionals who make millions of dollars, we're talking kids who sacrifice and pay to play. my DD hates OF but if she gets to start on the Varsity team as an OF and part time P, she will be very happy! She is a very good pitcher, but she is also a very good hitter and baserunner so the coach wants her in the lineup whether she's pitching or not. look at the college games on TV- the pitchers are usually hitting- as previously noted sometimes in the 4 slot (Danielle Lawrie)

2) There are many players who pitched before college but joined the college team at another position. (I think the 3B for OK is one). does she enjoy the game or only pitching? if she doesn't get good (or at least reasonably good) at hitting, the DP will be her hitting for her. If she can't hit, i guess she could use the excuse that she's a pitcher. she may be able to get by without hitting, but that road looks a lot shorter to me.

3) one advantage Pitchers have is they don't need to be as fast once they get on base because they can always get a courtesy runner.

good luck!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
A friend of mine's DD was a great pitcher in HS and an exceptional slapper/base runner. She was offered a full ride because of her hitting skills, speed and base running. She has played outfield all 4 years in college and her D2 team was the National Champions last year. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket...

Feb 5, 2010
Crystol,

There was a time that I would have sided with your husband but no longer. A kid that can hit is a kid that will play even if they lack in other areas. There is plenty of time to work on both if you "Train Smart" At the higher levels a pitcher has to also be able to handle the mental side of both and that is where it can get dicey.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I've seen pitchers sit for two games on Saturday and that looks like no fun to me and getting a hit is a part of the game most kids really like so if a kid can hit, let em at it.

If the kid is like a National league pitcher at the plate you may want to rethink it but anything reasonable you give them the opportunity to help themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC