Should I hold open tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
The former TB manager has stepped down after an awful season and some very upset parents. I am now taking over a town based B - C level TB team. We should have about 6 girls returning for 2nd year 14u and the about 6 or 7 more joining us as 1st year 14u players form the local little league programs. We have a total of 1 pitcher right now. I am told that 2 of the girls that want to join are "projects". Since the TB program is an extension of the little league program, it will be difficult to turn away town residents that want to play.

I am not from the town the program is in and I will have 2 girls from out of town (my dd included). Would it be a mistake to not hold open tryouts? Or should I just advertise for pitchers (and possibly catchers)? As of now I am inviting the current players and the players who will be joining me to a 2 hour free clinic that will be run by a professional softball instructor. I am inviting other girls from out of town who might be interested to the clinic as well.

Thanks for any suggestions. I don't want to let the girls down with another awful season.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It sounds like the TB team was set up to give the LL players a place to play a more competitive game. If that's the case you are kind of obligated to take some if not all those kids. If you have enough can you have a tryout and pick the better players? Good luck finding at least one more pitcher.

Jun 1, 2013
If the tournament team is an extension LL, you better be sure of the rules. Some LL's will not let you have outside players if everyone from the league can't be on the team. Don't even entertain the idea that you are "B" level or you will have an awful season too. Not sure who the governing body of your LL is but you need to ask the President of the league.

Aug 13, 2010
If the tournament team is an extension LL, you better be sure of the rules. Some LL's will not let you have outside players if everyone from the league can't be on the team. Don't even entertain the idea that you are "B" level or you will have an awful season too. Not sure who the governing body of your LL is but you need to ask the President of the league.

That part is already taken care of. It is not a direct extension of the LL (meaning it is not under LL rules). The TB organization was created to give the girls that are currently playing LL to compete at a "higher" level. I have been working closely with the person in charge of the entire softball program. As you probably know, softball is always the often ignored step-child of baseball when it comes to town programs.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you have 11 you 'have' to take or know you are going to take then you have your team and there is no real need for open tryouts.

If you have any less than that, then yes you have either private or open tryouts. Open if you don't know the probable players who will tryout or if you feel there is a group on 10-14 that might turn up that you need to pick from. If it is open it is very important that the players who ARE going to be on the team are there so people can decide if their DD fits in with the other players on the team.

May 12, 2013
My advice is no matter what you decide, have a parents only meeting. Explain the purpose is to improve girls first and not worry about the scoreboard. Trust me, I'm going through this now with a team that was handed to me. When you lose two games in a row 15-0 and 12-0, parents are all over you like hornets. Not fun for anyone.

Aug 13, 2010
My advice is no matter what you decide, have a parents only meeting. Explain the purpose is to improve girls first and not worry about the scoreboard. Trust me, I'm going through this now with a team that was handed to me. When you lose two games in a row 15-0 and 12-0, parents are all over you like hornets. Not fun for anyone.

That described pretty much every game we played this past season. The last game that we won, I could see the attitude of the entire team and parents change immediately (for the better). I had not seen those smiles all year. That moment was one of the biggest reasons for me to accept the HC job this upcoming season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach