Safe or out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2012
Runners on 1st and 2nd, one out. Batter hits slow grounder between pitcher and SS. Pitcher fields the ball. SS and runner from 2nd tangle up. Pitch throws to 3rd, batter called out on force. Base Coach tries to argue SS was in the wrong. Blue says she was going for the ball (which never passed the circle). Is that correct?

Due to the slow roll runner might have made it and the normal play would have been at 1st. But seeing the tangle throw went to 3rd.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Only one defensvie player gets protection when fielding a batted ball. If 2 or more defensive players are going after a batted ball, the umpire has to chose which player they judge to have the best chance at fielding the ball, and that player gets protection from committing obstruction or being interfered with. If they pitcher fielded the ball I dont see how the SS could be given protection. I would have obstruction on the SS in the play you have described.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Only one defensvie player gets protection when fielding a batted ball. If 2 or more defensive players are going after a batted ball, the umpire has to chose which player they judge to have the best chance at fielding the ball, and that player gets protection from committing obstruction or being interfered with. If they pitcher fielded the ball I dont see how the SS could be given protection. I would have obstruction on the SS in the play you have described.

The outcome of this should have been that the runner on second is awarded third base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad