Runner hit by batted ball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Runner on 1B
1B playing in front of runner.
Hard ground ball to right side.
1B attempts back hand of ball but it goes under her glove.
Runner (behind 1B) attempts to jump ball but kicks it.
2B is moving in direction to field the ball and is behind the runner.

Is this a dead ball runner out because 2B still had a chance to field the ball or is it a live ball play on because the ball past one fielder (who was not the pitcher) who had an opportunity to field the ball?

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Had this happen to us this weekend. Had a runner on second, hard hit ground ball hopped and fielder tried to make a play on it. Went passed the fielder and smacked my player directly in the inside of the thigh. Ball rolled to the outfield and my runner scored. Umpire said it was good since fielder attempted to play and it looked like she contacted the ball first. Now, from the way he (FU) explained it to both teams coaches after, if it would have missed the fielder completely and just hit the runner, then it would have been an out. But, since it looked like the fielder had contact with it first, it was good.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Once a fielder deflects the ball it is live and does not matter if it hits the runner. If it hits the runner first it is a dead ball, runner out, and all other runners must return to their previous base. In this case the batter would remain at 1B.

Jun 22, 2008
If the ball has passed a fielder and no other fielder has a play, the ball is live. If another fielder does have a play, the ball is dead and the runner is out.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Runner on 1B
1B playing in front of runner.
Hard ground ball to right side.
1B attempts back hand of ball but it goes under her glove.
Runner (behind 1B) attempts to jump ball but kicks it.
2B is moving in direction to field the ball and is behind the runner.

Is this a dead ball runner out because 2B still had a chance to field the ball or is it a live ball play on because the ball past one fielder (who was not the pitcher) who had an opportunity to field the ball?

Need a bit more information in order to give a definitive answer....

Did F3 touch the batted ball?
You used the term "kicks it"...Was this an intentional act or was she just continuing to run?

IF F3 did not touch the ball, and the "kick" was not intentional, and F4 could have fielded the ball and made an out, then this runner should have been called out. (ASA 8-7-K)

If F3 touched the ball, then the "kick" would have to be an intentional act for the runner to be called out, and the presence of F4 is irrelevant. (ASA 8-7-L)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If the ball has passed a fielder and no other fielder has a play, the ball is live. If another fielder does have a play, the ball is dead and the runner is out.

Thanks comp, that's what I thought since 2B still in theory had a chance.

Umps ruled an out but not for this reason, base umpire was a bit clueless. Not sure if he was watching the play at all. First he said "1B was behind runner", which was impossible considering she was playing in front of the bag then he changed his mind and said "1B wasn't going for the ball she was headed back to 1st" which was sort of true but only after the ball already went under her glove on a backhand attempt.

and ajaywill, 1B did not touch the ball; kick was totally unintentional - poor choice of words on my part looking back, should have just said "hit our runner in the foot". oh and thanks for the actual ASA cites that's helpful!

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

I have seen a lot of cases where a runner was hit between 1B and 2B when the ball is past the 1B (playing inside the bag) and 2B has no chance to make a play and the umpire still calls the base runner out when she is hit by a ground ball headed to RF.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And I would like to add that umpire should be convinced the second player really had an opportunity to make an out, not base the call on "what if" scenarios.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom