rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2011
last night at our 14u fastpitch game we had a situation happen that i have never seen before and do not know what the rules are.

There were two out a runner on first and third. The pitcher threw what she and the rest of the team thought was strike three, but was only strike two. The team in the field as well as the runners started running off of the field when they figured out it was only strike two. the runner that was on third was at the pitchers mound headed to her dug out when they figured out it was not strike three. My question is..........can she score from the pitchers mound?? No one had made a play on her, so I'm not sure how the "out of baseline" rule is interperted being that she was so far out of the baseline. Hopefully I have explained this so that it makes sense. Thanks

Jun 22, 2008
There is no rule about being out of the "baseline". The runners may run whereever they like and set their own basepath. The only time they are limited to 3' either side of the "basepath" is when a defensive player is attempting to make a tag on them. In the situation you have described, the runner who was on third is completely legal to advance to home even if she may have been at the pitchers plate.

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio
A runner is not out if she does not run in a direct line to a base, provides the fielder in the direct line does not have possession of the ball

If I understand the situation, she can run from wherever she is (unless she has entered the dugout) toward home and score.
"Baseline" is irrelevant since she was not trying to avoid a tag.
I know we have far more experienced folks on here. If I am wrong, I will gladly take my correction!

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio
baseline: an imaginary direct line between two bases.

basepath: a line between a base and the runners position at the time a defensive player is attempting (or about to attempt) to tag a runner

Runner is out if running more than 3 feet from the basepath to avoid a tag

...but did R1 enter dugout before R3 scored?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2011
i dont think she did, however she did go from first to third without going to second, however that was missed by most everyone.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
baseline: an imaginary direct line between two bases.

basepath: a line between a base and the runners position at the time a defensive player is attempting (or about to attempt) to tag a runner

Runner is out if running more than 3 feet from the basepath to avoid a tag

...but did R1 enter dugout before R3 scored?
This is what I was thinking too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks