Roster 11 or 12

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2009
Hello, my question is this. We have carried 11 on roster since October. Kinda always left the option open to add 12th if she was a strong pitcher. In the January practices we stated getting into pitchers more. Really only have 2-3 that will be ready. Have an option to add another that could be or #2 or # 3 pitcher. I hate setting kids out. 12U team. Whats the best way to manage 12 players Vs 11. My past travel teams have had 11.

Thanks
CM Swarm

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
At 12U we carried 11. When they get older you will need 12 or more. We had one of our pitchers sick in a fall tourney. That gave us 2 and try to win on Sunday in 5 games with 2 pitchers! In Nationals the elite teams had 15 or more.

Jul 28, 2008
Personally, I like 12. It's not difficult getting them adequate playing time. Besides, when you get into the state tournaments and play by the book, it gives you more options with pinch runners, hitters and DP/Flex rules. To me, having 12 allows me to manage and makes it fun.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
I've done it both ways and I can tell you 12 is better. Yes 11 is easier to manage but injuries or other obligations always come up. Last year we carried 11 and ran into a situation that one of our tournament games we had only 9. Wouldn't you know it, our catcher takes a foul ball off her leg and has to come out of the game. We now have only 8 and we were playing a very good team. We ended up winning the game but that was my wake up call, never do that again.

Carrying 12 is not that hard to get them plenty of playing time. I've seen teams carry 14 or 15 girls, now that gets extremely difficult to keep everyone happy. ALways the best thing to do is set expectations with players and parents on how you plan on managing playing time and then stick to it. Will someone be unhappy? Maybe but I find if your consistent with your approach and up front with your team on how you plan to manage playing time they will respect you and appreciate what you are trying to do.

-Tom