Ridiculous Cheers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2014
I'm sitting here watching Mizzou play S. Carolina with my DD. The SC team was standing in the dugout doing some choreographed dance / cheer thing. We'd just gotten done talking about recruiting and picking out a list of schools. DD rolls her eyes and looks at me, says "Scratch SC off the list Dad." So, that's one less school on the list. :) Not that she's a D1 caliber athlete, any way.

But, what's up with the crazy cheers? Wow. Maybe I'm just a cranky old man and it rubs off on my kid.

Laker

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Hey, I grew up in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Home of the Razorbacks. Ever been part of a huge crowd yelling "Whoooooooo! Pig! Sooie!"

Most rediculous cheer anywhere, but it was FUN!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Put Mizzou on the list. They hate cheers, chants, smiling. I exaggerate, but I know Bama lays it on extra thick for them.

Jan 3, 2014
This thread was really only partly in jest. This is honestly something that DD would not do well with. Add this to the laundry list of things she's going to have to research for all the D2/D3 schools she may pursue. When other teams do it, she finds it mildly amusing. But she's told me a couple times after tournaments that, "I could never play for that team because I'd feel stupid acting like a cheerleader."

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Very few teams above the 10U level do choreographed cheers here in the northeast. My 12Us get up on the fence and cheer, but none of the sing-song rhyming things anymore.

We've come across a couple of 18U Gold teams from other parts of the country that do them, and they get laughed at when they come here for showcases. I wonder how college coaches view that sort of thing.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Put Mizzou on the list. They hate cheers, chants, smiling. I exaggerate, but I know Bama lays it on extra thick for them.

Every SEC team turns it up for Mizzou. If before the game you can get the opposing team focused on your activities you are already winning the mental battle. :)

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Very few teams above the 10U level do choreographed cheers here in the northeast. My 12Us get up on the fence and cheer, but none of the sing-song rhyming things anymore.

We've come across a couple of 18U Gold teams from other parts of the country that do them, and they get laughed at when they come here for showcases. I wonder how college coaches view that sort of thing.

Not sure how far north you are from me but in the MD/DE/VA/DC/PA area all they do is choreographed cheers. I love having the 3B dugout because I stand at 1st base lol.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I thought they had their own band of cheerleaders! I just wonder how they can focus on the game when they are cheerleading in the dugout. I know my DD wouldn't be able to do it...she is a "lean over the rail, watching the game intensely" kind of girl.

Feb 12, 2014
Not sure how far north you are from me but in the MD/DE/VA/DC/PA area all they do is choreographed cheers. I love having the 3B dugout because I stand at 1st base lol.

I am on Long Island, and Choreographed cheering is non-existent after 12U ! New Jersey and up to me is the Northeast and I don't really hear it at all !!

I consider MD, DE, VA the south LOL

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I am on Long Island, and Choreographed cheering is non-existent after 12U ! New Jersey and up to me is the Northeast and I don't really hear it at all !!

I consider MD, DE, VA the south LOL

We play a lot in NJ and they don't cheer. Might be why the parents take offense to it so easily. I try and tell those coaches once they come down "SOUTH" every team does it. if you go to the USSSA World Series in Salisbury MD be prepared for 5 days of LOW RI-DER PITCH A LITTLE HIGHER!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA