Reverse Chaining/ Backwards Chaining

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
DId you even bother to read any of the material I linked?

From there you target contact without extension.

This makes no sense and is not even what I am seeing in the material I have been reading and quoting here. You ALWAYS include the end point and pass through the step (or steps) you just mastered.

For example first target the swing from Heel Plant to Contact through RVP's Extension....not whatever you all call extension.

Student masters that. Now you target the swing from Toe Touch to Contact through RVP's Extension....which would obviously include the Heel Plant position.

:confused:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Targeting making 'contact' without 'extension' of the rear arm makes sense to a lot of people.

Manny_contact.jpg

AROD_at_contact.jpg

contact_20051001MLBPhiladelphiaPhilliesChaseUtley.jpg

Sep 29, 2010
The reality is that what Tom said about the rapid rate of movements is correct. It occurs so quick that it is difficult to have more than one swing thought and succeed in burning in a new mechanic … which is why the process can be a struggle, especially for those that have bad habits embedded in their sequence.

Tom also said that if you can throw you can hit. Therefore, if backward chaining is highly successful with throwing which the literature would indicate it is, there is no reason it shouldn't work with hitting.

Combine isolation drills with backward chaining and I think you could greatly enhance and speed up the training process. Imagine doing a top hand one arm drill from the toe touch position. Sounds like throwing to me. Think out side of the box.

Sep 29, 2010
Targeting making 'contact' without 'extension' of the rear arm makes sense to a lot of people.

Manny_contact.jpg

AROD_at_contact.jpg

contact_20051001MLBPhiladelphiaPhilliesChaseUtley.jpg

As it pertains to Backward Chaining? I didn't see any discussion on backward chaining and hitting and the techniques involved in my searches yet. Can you link it for us, so everyone can read it?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Backward chaining isn’t new.

As Tom stated … Epstein’s teachings can be considered a form of backward chaining.

Likewise, any time we ask a hitter to show us what they think they would look like at their ideal contact point, have them pause at ‘contact’, and then back them up and have them swing to that ‘contact’ position, then we are in a sense backward chaining. Likewise … when we ask them to swing through their power-vee (as in the RVP Connection Point position), and have them pause in that position … and repeat getting the swing to pass through that position … then we are backwards chaining.

Sep 29, 2010
I have the Epstein material and the only thing I would consider Backward Chaining is the Torque Drill.

Everything else is performed in a normal progression.

Finally, no one said Backward Chaining is new. I myself have not found any work on it specifically for hitting and the steps involved. It looks like Nyman may have worked on it, but I can not find any of the old SetPro stuff. Looks like there was a specific chapter on his CD regarding Backward Chaining and Hitting.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Felt that was discussed already.

The article you posted described the approach from a golf perspective. Thought I'd help you out by forwarding you information from someone that studied the swing from a perspective of key positions. Would seem that the approach described in your article would benefit from that.

Feb 17, 2011
Backward chaining isn’t new.

As Tom stated … Epstein’s teachings can be considered a form of backward chaining.

Likewise, any time we ask a hitter to show us what they think they would look like at their ideal contact point, have them pause at ‘contact’, and then back them up and have them swing to that ‘contact’ position, then we are in a sense backward chaining. Likewise … when we ask them to swing through their power-vee (as in the RVP Connection Point position), and have them pause in that position … and repeat getting the swing to pass through that position … then we are backwards chaining.

My DD made major improvements with combination of reverse chaining and actually setting down and watching model swings and pitches. As for the best thing I have ever seen for impressing staying connected at contact is to use an axe and an old tree. After several disconnected and arm driven swings and then showing how much quicker and powerful a connected "swing" is, lightbulbs appear over many heads fully lit.

So many kids learn to " swing " the bat with their arms this helps them to learn to "hit". Hitting brings more sense of power IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24