Results of Best Pitchers (Mens) In The World Poll

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm feeling ill again. I suggest we save all of the time and cut and paste all of the links to all of the threads on the riseball rising or not. LOL!

1056080091avatar

Or just have a rule that posts with the word riseball in them just autodelete like OILFs un-thanked posts.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Pinata, if you were sitting on your bucket and a fella threw you a real riseball you'd probably take one on the chin and you'd understand that they don't drop.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Probably old news...

AASU Applied Physics: Mullenax | Rise Ball Physics

Abstract

The rise ball is a dominant pitch in fastpitch softball. The velocity and backwards rotation are two of the factors that play a role in causing the ball to actually rise. Video clippings of several skilled pitchers and a pitching machine will be used to study the flight of the ball. The overall data collected will determine if the rise ball actually rises above the trajectory path and "jumps" over home plate, or if it is merely an illusion to batters.

Background

For years, people tried to determine if a curveball (in baseball) curved and a fastball (in baseball) jumped at home plate. Through must research and debate, it has been shown that curveballs do in fact curve, but fastballs do not jump, but rather, fall slower than expected causing the hitter to perceive that the ball has risen.1 The motion of the fastball is due to its backward spin that produces a lower air pressure above the ball than below the ball. This difference in air pressure produces an upward lift on the ball. Thus the Bernoulli Principle goes into effect. Please note that the fastball does not rise though; it simply falls slower than a ball without a backward rotation.2

In 1853, Heinrich Gustav Magnus developed the concept of the Magnus Effect while at the University of Berlin.3 To simply explain the Magnus Effect: it is the force perpendicular to the spin axis and the direction of motion. For example, the Magnus Effect causes artillery shells to have a systematic shift.4 In fastpitch softball, the rise ball has the same type of rotation as the fastball. The motion of the rise ball is shown in Figure 1. The top of the ball is rotating toward the pitcher. Therefore, the force produced by the Magnus Effect is up, or in the opposite direction as the weight of the ball. For the rise ball to rise above its initial line of trajectory, the force due to the Magnus Effect must be greater than the softball's weight.

Many message boards on the Internet are full of debates between those that believe the rise ball rises and those that believe the rise of the rise ball is just an illusion as it is with the baseball.5 However, no research on the rise ball has been published. According to the coaches that have been interviewed and Mr. Ernie Parker, who has coached some of the best pitchers, no one has studied the physics behind the rise ball. On the message boards, those that say the ball cannot rise state a variety of reasons including: (1) the mass is too great, (2) the pitcher cannot get the ball to rotate with sufficient angular speed, and (3) the fastball does not rise, so the rise ball cannot either.

The aerodynamic forces acting on the softball are far from simple because of several reasons. The threads on the seams disturb the air. We will not go into great depth of the aerodynamics forces, but rather focus on the Magnus Force, Fm [pounds-force], which can be expressed as:
Fm = KfVCd
Where f is the spin frequency [rpm], V [mph] is the velocity of the softball, Cd is the drag coefficient, and K is a constant that has been estimated to be approximately 2E-6.1 If Fm is greater than W(=mg), then the ball will lift. It is our goal to determine if Fm is ever greater than W and then determine why.

Pulllleas! staaaaaaap! It's not possible! Great pitch though. :cool:

Mar 28, 2013
So you actually were able to conclude that I did not think a rise ball rose by my sarcastic joke. Paranoid much. jeez. just for the record its one of the favorite pitches of both my DDs and have been catching them for years , my chin is just fine. Sorry to disappoint you. If you lack the ability to understand a post maybe it would be best to not respond to it.

Pinata, if you were sitting on your bucket and a fella threw you a real riseball you'd probably take one on the chin and you'd understand that they don't drop.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
So you actually were able to conclude that I did not think a rise ball rose by my sarcastic joke. Paranoid much. jeez. just for the record its one of the favorite pitches of both my DDs and have been catching them for years , my chin is just fine. Sorry to disappoint you. If you lack the ability to understand a post maybe it would be best to not respond to it.

I bet CoachFP would whiff on both "G"s and "S"s rise's. What a clown. LMAO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles