Rec. All-Stars...making the cuts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
Last year we did tryouts where each girl did a variety of drills for fielding throwing and hitting but honestly I didn't think it worked very well. The scores seemed arbitrary at times (we ended up getting the team right but the ranking of the girls wasn't exactly correct).

What about just running a regular practice with lots of stations and then a simulated game and have the evaluators walking around taking notes and then ranking the players at the end based on what they saw?

Nov 29, 2009
Many years ago when my daughters played rec ball, All-Stars were chosen this way. Every girl was given an opportunity to try out for the team. The girls were rated by the AS head coach, his assistants and the team coaches. Each team coach was allowed to vote for 13 players who were not on his team. The top 10 vote getters made the team. The remaining 4 spots were the AS Head Coaches choice. It seemed to work well. There were always a few complaints, but that's to be expected.

Sep 3, 2009
Welp, we got thirteen girls so the good news is, no cuts. We probably have a few girls that may not have made the team had we had more girls come out but that's okay by me. Looking forward to a week and a half of practices and then some games.

Jan 20, 2010
Welp, we got thirteen girls so the good news is, no cuts. We probably have a few girls that may not have made the team had we had more girls come out but that's okay by me. Looking forward to a week and a half of practices and then some games.

You and they will have fun :)

We will have about 25 or so tryout on Tuesday. I am trying to decide whether to take 12 or 13 girls.

12 would work best for managing the roster/lineup. You bat and play 9 so that means 6 play the whole game and 6 split time. And knowing the players who will try out, we will end up with 6 very strong players that are a cut above the rest.

13 gives you the option of 3 coaches during games which is important because one has to remain in the dugout at all times so two adult base coaches is not possible without 13 players. Plus one more girl will get to experience all-stars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06