Ready stance on base for base running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Wondering what DFP thinks are the pros/cons for the three different stances I see being used for base running lately.

1. Over the bag stance. Front foot on standing on lead side of base, rear foot behind the base. Using front leg to push off.
  2. Front of the bag stance. Front foot on lead-off path, rear foot on front side of base. Using rear leg to push off.
  3. Side of bag stance. Either foot could be touching base, but rather than on the bag, the side of the foot is touching the side of the base. Using either leg to push off.

Both of my DDs have been coached to use the over the bag stance, but I see no clear advantage using either one or two.

Three just doesn't seem like it would give a runner a decent push off, but there seems to be so many players doing this way now. What am I missing?

May 17, 2012
You are missing the fact that if you aren't leading off early you are late. You need to be early enough that the umpires will call it. If they don't you have just given your team an advantage.

With that being said the rockstart is the best leadoff on first and second. You have started your motion before the pitcher has released the ball and if you time it right you will be early.

From third base you are using a walking lead into foul territory.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Wondering what DFP thinks are the pros/cons for the three different stances I see being used for base running lately.

1. Over the bag stance. Front foot on standing on lead side of base, rear foot behind the base. Using front leg to push off.
  2. Front of the bag stance. Front foot on lead-off path, rear foot on front side of base. Using rear leg to push off.
  3. Side of bag stance. Either foot could be touching base, but rather than on the bag, the side of the foot is touching the side of the base. Using either leg to push off.

Both of my DDs have been coached to use the over the bag stance, but I see no clear advantage using either one or two.

Thee just doesn't seem like it would give a runner a decent push off, but there seems to be so many players doing this way now. What am I missing?

Seems that I read here months ago that someone did some testing on runners with different stances to see which got the best jumps and got to the next base quickest. The result was that what you're calling the ''front of the bag stance'' got the best results - because those doing the ''over the bag stance'' were being too conservative in their timing. (Those are usually those rule-follower types who are afraid to have fouls called on them, even in basketball. DD is one.) The conclusion was that the best strategy is the 'over the bag stance' with correct timing. But if you don't practice it and achieve good timing, you're better off front of the bag.

From third base you are using a walking lead into foul territory.

Tell me more.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
I try to teach over the bag with good timing. Those who can't get it, we position in front of the bag. On third base, we teach side of the bag so they are always in foul territory on their lead.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Film each player doing 1 and 2. You will find that some get off better using 1, others 2. This is one of those things that isn't an absolute for all players.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York

Three just doesn't seem like it would give a runner a decent push off, but there seems to be so many players doing this way now. What am I missing?

The key is the timing...or even more specific, what are you teaching your runners to "time off of?"

This is what I teach...left foot on bag, right foot behind...left foot on the bag is an absolute in my world...this would fit your #1's description

I teach my players to mimic the pitcher's motion...so I'm effectively teaching timing off the pitcher's arms and stride leg. You're timing your ARMS to the pitcher's ARM or ARMS. So...you arm swing will change depending on the pitcher's "style"... i.e. if you are facing a pitcher who has a no backswing motion ala Hillhouse, Carda, Hoover

who.gif

vs. more of a double arm swing like Littlejohn or Haylie Wagner of Michigan...

littlejohn_hr_ull_landry_zpsvq71vyo7.gif

If your arms are moving in sync with the pitchers arm, your rear leg will end up striding forward in sync with the pitcher's stride leg - mind you the left foot is still ON THE BASE. It will be very close when the pitcher releases the ball and your left leg leaves the base...your players might be leaving a smidge early but I would rather that than leaving late...

Why the left foot on the base? Because it will put you in foul territory when you are on third...that's how I teach it, so take it for what it's worth...CP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi