Questions you don't want to hear at your parent meeting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Had my first All-Star practice last night and held the parent meeting afterwards. Went smooth but got two questions that left me stunned:

1. "The tournaments are on the weekends?" In all fairness I later learned that this mom was a second wife who just recently married the dad and has never been through an All-Star season before. Still....

2. "Does my DD have to attend all the practices? She has FFA on Tuesdays and Thursdays." We make the parents and players sign a contract prior to trying out. In 20 point bold font it says, "Attendance at practice is mandatory". I make exceptions for special reasons: communicable diseases, deaths in the family, bones sticking through skin, etc... but FFA is not on the list.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Suzy gets upset if she plays anywhere but shortstop." TRANSLATION: Daddy gets upset if she plays anywhere but SS.

May 2, 2010
Coaches Response:
"Thank you so much for telling me..... I'll be sure that Suzy sits on the bench instead of playing another position when she's not at short"

TRANSLATION:
Guess what Dad, I'M the coach... not your daughter ~ and not you.
:eek:)

May 5, 2008
sluggers said:
"Suzy gets upset if she plays anywhere but shortstop." TRANSLATION: Daddy gets upset if she plays anywhere but SS.

Yeah - still get this with high school age teams.

Like Mamma Coach said - if that's the way you want it you may find yourself on the bench all season.

OR I can peg you in to just one position if you want, but it'll be the position the coaching staff feels is best for the TEAM.

Most times these dads say their worried that their daughter is missing out on college opportunities if they are not playing SS.

They don't seem to understand how much competition there is in that position. If they were really thinking about their daughter's college chances they'd probably be asking me to play their DD in CF instead of SS not the other way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck