Questionable Calls This Weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
Coaching second year 12u team and there was all sorts of questionable or just flat out stupid calls.
  1. Ball hit to SS with a runner on 2nd. Short stop breaks down to field the ball and the runner plows through her. Ump signals obstruction.... but doesn't call deadball..... I call time after the play is over and the ump tells me it's obstruction on the fielder. After the HP ump say he was watching the play at home. No call. An inning later field ump tells my asst he got it wrong. It's cool only cost us two runs.
  2. Ball hit in the air on the first base line, pitcher is making a play on it and batter runs into her. Ball pops out and is called foul.
  3. Them umpire literally has no idea what a DP/Flex rule is..... even though he saw it at the meeting that both teams are using them. Had to get the UIC to explain why I was running for someone who isn't a pitcher or catcher. (championship game ump)
  4. Runner on 2 & 3rd with 1 out and runner on 3 is the game tying run. I ask the ump to put on the batter..... this takes 2 mins for him to figure it out.
After all of that we had a good weekend with a second place finish. But super frustrating

Dec 15, 2018
CT
That stinks. As you describe the first three, they seem pretty damning. On the first one though, if the umpire called obstruction, that is indeed a delayed dead ball. Of course, by your description it seems like you felt it was interference on the runner.

The fourth - assume you're referring to intentionally walking the BR. For that, it depends what rule set you were playing under. Some (USA f'rinstance) you must pitch to the batter.

May 1, 2018
That stinks. As you describe the first three, they seem pretty damning. On the first one though, if the umpire called obstruction, that is indeed a delayed dead ball. Of course, by your description it seems like you felt it was interference on the runner.

The fourth - assume you're referring to intentionally walking the BR. For that, it depends what rule set you were playing under. Some (USA f'rinstance) you must pitch to the batter.
I actually asked if we needed to pitch to her, to walk her. He gave me a blank stare like he didn't understand. That when I just said "put her on first" and he did. That one was a very timid umpire.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
...umpire literally has no idea what a DP/Flex rule is..... even though he saw it at the meeting that both teams are using them. Had to get the UIC to explain why I was running for someone who isn't a pitcher or catcher. (championship game ump)

If I am understanding what you are saying, the Flex was the P or C. DP was not in the game defensively, got on base and you wanted to run for her. If that is the case, the using a CR is not an option.

If the DP was in the game defensively, as the pitcher or catcher, then you can CR for her. In all other cases you may not.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Good times at 12U...

I remember giving a HP umpire a lesson, at the coaches meeting, on DP / FLEX and additional player rules during a USSSA tournament.

An umpire called a D3K out correctly with less than two outs and a runner on 1B, but put the runner back on 1B after declaring her running to 2B on the play "confusing" to the defense.

I could go on...

Jul 22, 2015
Coaching second year 12u team and there was all sorts of questionable or just flat out stupid calls.
  1. Ball hit to SS with a runner on 2nd. Short stop breaks down to field the ball and the runner plows through her. Ump signals obstruction.... but doesn't call deadball..... I call time after the play is over and the ump tells me it's obstruction on the fielder. After the HP ump say he was watching the play at home. No call. An inning later field ump tells my asst he got it wrong. It's cool only cost us two runs.
  2. Ball hit in the air on the first base line, pitcher is making a play on it and batter runs into her. Ball pops out and is called foul.
  3. Them umpire literally has no idea what a DP/Flex rule is..... even though he saw it at the meeting that both teams are using them. Had to get the UIC to explain why I was running for someone who isn't a pitcher or catcher. (championship game ump)
  4. Runner on 2 & 3rd with 1 out and runner on 3 is the game tying run. I ask the ump to put on the batter..... this takes 2 mins for him to figure it out.
After all of that we had a good weekend with a second place finish. But super frustrating
1 and 2- Had to be there but sure sound like interference.
3- Just be sure you know that when you use the flex to run for the DP the DP has left the game and has to use her re-entry to come back in.
4- If it's USSSA or USA you have to throw the pitches unless something has changed.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No excuse for umpires who don't put in the minimum level of work to understand that they are doing out there. That makes me mad since I spend a lot of time trying to get better

However, I know we are so short of umpires we often end up using ones we would rather not. And I hear that story repeated in various groups I am in nationally.

As I have said before, when I started, I did a 2 hour clinic and I was doing a 10u travel tournament that weekend. Now, I had officiated other sports for 30 years at a high level so I have that experience, but I was not the only one thrown out there. After a 4 games mentorship (admittedly by some great umpires) my DD officiated her first travel game.

Last week I did 13 games - 5 HS, 2 college and 7 travel (couldn't umpire sarurday - they wanted me to do 6 on Saturday). My friend did 21 (5 HS + 16 travel). This is pretty much every week. I am scheduled for 4 HS and 2 college this week (just home from a HS game) and I have a choice of either college or one of two travel tournaments next weekend.

That is way too many and more than i want to be doing but there is NO ONE ELSE. I get calls every day begging me to come out. I turn down at least as many games as I say "yes" to.

Edit: officiating is not my job. I have a full time job as well. I do it because I enjoy it. I don't need the money (but certainly not turning it down - it is well earned)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2012

First of all, the call is, "Interference", & it's an immediate dead ball.

1 and 2- Had to be there but sure sound like interference.
3- Just be sure you know that when you use the flex to run for the DP the DP has left the game and has to use her re-entry to come back in.
4- If it's USSSA or USA you have to throw the pitches unless something has changed.

On 1 & 2, nope......., don't have to be there! If a defensive player is attempting to field a batted ball, they ALWAYS take precedent. If an offensive player does anything to interfere with their ability, it's interference. It can be verbal or physical & contact is not necessary.

Jul 22, 2015
On 1 & 2, nope......., don't have to be there! If a defensive player is attempting to field a batted ball, they ALWAYS take precedent. If an offensive player does anything to interfere with their ability, it's interference. It can be verbal or physical & contact is not necessary.
Just meant that IF it happened as described then, yes, it is interference. However, without video who knows. I always assume the poster has at least a LITTLE bias or rooting interest.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Poor umpire knowledge. All some umpires want is the pay. The heck with wasting my time on any rules training.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut