Proper way to address the umpires?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
I've heard that some umpires hate to called "Blue" and many would even prefer to be called by their name instead of "ump" or "umpire". Coaches, how do you address the umpires and if there are any umpires here, how would you prefer to be addressed during a game?

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I write the names of the umps on my scorebook, so I can address them by name.

I'd be surprised to hear if alot "hate" being called Blue. I always thought it was a respectful way to address them if you don't know their names ( and have heard them called plenty of worse things)

Jun 1, 2008
I prefer being called blue or ump over anything else. If the coaches know my name, and call me by my name, everything becomes personal and I don't like it. When I umpire, I don't want to be noticed and I don't want to be a person with a name...just the invisible blue making the calls and keeping control of the game. It makes everything feel less personal, especially if there are any disputes.

I've never actually heard of any umpires who don't want to be called blue.

May 25, 2010
I prefer being called blue or ump over anything else. If the coaches know my name, and call me by my name, everything becomes personal and I don't like it. When I umpire, I don't want to be noticed and I don't want to be a person with a name...just the invisible blue making the calls and keeping control of the game. It makes everything feel less personal, especially if there are any disputes.

I keep reading that claim on various sites and find it surprising.

In my realm of oh-so-limited experience, my thinking is that the terms 'blue' or 'ump' display a certain respect for the position. It's not your job to be my buddy, and it's my job to respect your authority.

Even when teenagers are umpiring games, they deserve that same respect on-field or off, but out by the snack bar between games, some of the teens don't mind if the younger girls call them by their first names..."Hey, there's Umpire Jessica", etc.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania

^^This.

Another reason I don't like being called by name is because if one coach does it and the other doesn't, it might look like Coach 1 and I know each other or are "buddy-buddy." I'm impartial in my calls, and I don't want to look "buddy-buddy" with anyone less they think otherwise.

Sep 3, 2009
Interesting. All who responded here say they don't want to be called by their name. Yet I asked the same question today on an umpiring forum and so far each respondent has said that they prefer to be called by their name. So, it seems that it changes from umpire to umpire and some don't care while others really get irked by being called the less-preferred moniker. Maybe umpires should wear a badge that says "Call me insert preference"

Sep 17, 2009
Maybe addressing the ump aloud as blue but in private conversation by name is a good compromise. I like using blue, hey ump sounds less courteous.

I'm a big West Wing (the TV show) fan and they always made a big deal of saying Mr. President or Madam Senator because the office demanded respect, even if you didn't like the individual (ie, he/she was from the other party).

Probably applies to umps too : >

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00