Proper Discipline

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
Depends.
Is this Rec Ball or Select?
What preceeded the hit?

Bottom line...they are 8. YOU have a chance to make a REAL impact on these little kids...

(however, if one of them was MINE, she'd be learning a whole different lesson when she got home...)

The best lesson I can suggest is to make them hold hands for the rest of practice. They will HATE THIS......
And then, be the adult and talk them through how it could've been handled better at the END OF PRACTICE.
But remember that they are KIDS, and the bottom line is that they both probably instigated it in some way ( unless you have a soon to be serial killer on your hands). Both want your approval, and both will want your acceptance. Do what you need to do, but act like nothing happened at the next practice. Girls need approvall, especially when they have done what you told them they needed to do as punishment.

Good luck to the three of you....

Mar 13, 2010
Even at 8U the girl who did the hitting would have been sent for a run. Best effective punishment I've found for the little kids.

Then sit them both down after the training and asked what happened.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Even at 8U the girl who did the hitting would have been sent for a run. Best effective punishment I've found for the little kids.

That is exactly what I did. I just feel that running a lap shouldnt be punishment, its just I didnt know what else to do. I made her apologize and ripped into them about it. It just frustrates me cause we were having such a great practice and that crap happens at the last five minutes of practice.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Oct 31, 2010
my favorite discipline lines - Drop your glove and run, go say hi to the fence, and last but not least see me when you get back

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
my favorite discipline lines - Drop your glove and run, go say hi to the fence, and last but not least see me when you get back

I make them take their gloves. Always run with your glove, your glove is your friend! Also, a lot harder to run with a glove than it is to run without one.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Also, a lot harder to run with a glove than it is to run without one.

Not it they've been taught the proper way to run with a glove--the left hand is curled and the tip of the glove is touching the front of the arm pit.

Jul 28, 2008
I make them take their gloves. Always run with your glove, your glove is your friend! Also, a lot harder to run with a glove than it is to run without one.

I've been doing the same thing for years. From our very first practices I stress to the girls, "We catch with two hands on this team. When we don't, we run. When we run, we run with our gloves on just as you would a game." Then I show them the proper way to run with their gloves on.

Nov 1, 2009
Hitting another kid on the team is an action that I would take more serious than just making her take a jog to the fence. Since they are 8U I would assume the parents are at the park so I would have a conference right then with the child and the parent. Immediately following the conference the girl and her parent would be excused for the night and we would finish without this kid. I would not care why she hit the other girl and at the next practice I would discuss with the whole team what an acceptable solution would have been. If you don't treat this as a serious team rule violation you run the risk of losing other players whose parents don't want to subject their girls to possible physical abuse. This is not a minor issue and should not be treated as one. I would add that once the issue is dealt with I would forget it happened and move forward. A second time would result in the girl being removed from the team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06