Pre-Game Routines

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm a first time manager for 13/14 Jr.s and would like some help on pre-game routines. I'm planning to have the team arrive about an hour early to get situated and run through warm up. Our warm up lasts about 10-15 minutes and starts with easy short lines of jogging, grapevines, skipping, hi knees, etc, following by some dynamic movement in a circle. What should I do next and how should I warm up pitchers. I have 9-11 girls depending on the day.

Thanks,
Ken

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have the team arrive 1hr 15 min before start time. That gives the girls 15 minutes to get their cleats on, talk, ect, this is a 14U team. Our standard routine is; Dynamic stretching, warm up throwing, then we go into 3 hitting stations, I mix it up depending on what we need work on (bunting, side toss into a net, front toss using golf whiffle balls, tee work, front toss using regular whiffle balls, front toss with foam balls, ect). I have the starting pitcher and whoever I think will be a good reliever and catchers go first, when they are done they start warming up.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
I have the team arrive 1hr 15 min before start time. That gives the girls 15 minutes to get their cleats on, talk, ect, this is a 14U team. Our standard routine is; Dynamic stretching, warm up throwing, then we go into 3 hitting stations, I mix it up depending on what we need work on (bunting, side toss into a net, front toss using golf whiffle balls, tee work, front toss using regular whiffle balls, front toss with foam balls, ect). I have the starting pitcher and whoever I think will be a good reliever and catchers go first, when they are done they start warming up.

We do pretty much the same. At 14U the girls are old enough to run through their stretching/dynamic warmups and warm up throws on their own (have one kid lead). While they are doing that, the coaches set up the nets, etc. Also, depending on how much room there is to warm up, and if we have an infield available, we will hit some grounders and/or fly balls. Definitely warm up two pitchers, and have the pitchers/catchers run through the hitting stations first, then find a spot to warm up. If we have a game off, we will probably do a shortened warmup for about 15-20 min before the next game just to wake 'em up a bit.

Just a note of caution if you have back-to-back games, make sure you allow enough time at the end of the game for your next starting pitcher to warm up fully. If your have a 90minute game, and you have to change fields, that doesn't leave much time for a pregame warmup.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
After stretching, throwing etc I like to have the girls do a run down drill warm up. Two lines simulating one line at say first base and second. Run with ball up to half the distance between lines, make a good toss and go to the end of the other line.

Seems to build energy, sense of team work and a sense of focus and confidence if executed well.

P.S. Also helps when you actually have rundowns in game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1