Practicing with a college team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
Thanks for all the advice. She's gone to a few prospect camps already but this will be the first time she'll be the only high schooler working out with the college team.

Jun 8, 2016
Have to be honest, I am surprised this is legal...lol. Like what would stop a kid from basically practicing with the team her whole Sr. yr if she is a local kid (there has to be a rule for that..)?

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Have to be honest, I am surprised this is legal...lol. Like what would stop a kid from basically practicing with the team her whole Sr. yr if she is a local kid (there has to be a rule for that..)?

From what I've seen, the rules for NAIA are much less restrictive than NCAA.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
it can also help the player assess the coach on the field and has actually helped players who thought they wanted to play for a program decide it wasn't the right place.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Stuff like this, insurance is the 1sr thing that comes to my mind. DD always had good insurance but as the coach I would be worried about being sued.

You put DD out there with older players that were a lot better then her, of course she got hurt. It was your fault.

DD would have jumped at a chance practicing with a College Team. Vast majority of players are very friendly and helpful. Please, do not invite her to sorority party.

Oct 4, 2018
This exact scenario is what got my DD recruited. What started out as a campus visit and tour turned into bring your physical papers and gear, you're going to be participating in a team scrimmage! :oops: :oops::oops:

She has never played soooo far above her head as she did that day, my wife said she couldn't get mine or Anna's head in the car afterwards!

As MNDad said, be LOUD, look like you belong there, as if you're already on the team. And smile, look like you're having more fun than any other girl there! Lay it all out, MAKE the coaches look at you!

I mean honestly, and I'm not entirely sure how you do this, but I'd have her show up the first day in the college team's uniform. :p

Nov 15, 2019
I mean honestly, and I'm not entirely sure how you do this, but I'd have her show up the first day in the college team's uniform. :p
She has one of the college's t-shirts, she was wondering if it would be too presumptuous to wear it...

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
She has one of the college's t-shirts, she was wondering if it would be too presumptuous to wear it...

See if you can figure out what their typical practice uniform looks like, and then match pants with a school shirt. You can always default to black, white, or gray with a school shirt. It will make her far less self-conscious than wearing a travel team uniform.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD had received an invite to a NAIA camp (2 days). We couldn't make day 1, but they still wanted her to show up for day 2 (scrimmages with a mix of current players and prospects). As was said before, drives and dives. Didn't have a great day at the plate, but hit 1 out and dove for several balls in the OF. Coach kept her behind after camp and she was offered later that week. Its a program that has been competitive, but I'm also fairly certain her club team would beat them head to head. Either way, it was a great experience, just wasn't the right fit.
You get a mixed bag across ALL divisions. Many TB teams can beat up on college teams, others not so much.

DD's former team played a VERY well respected JUCO in the fall every year and tied them 4-4 which should have been a win if it's wasn't for the catcher trying to back a runner at 1B which resulted in a run scoring. I just realized that that catcher actually played for that JUCO for a year who then transferred to a D1 in the NE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles