Practicing with a college team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
DD, a sophomore, has been communicating with some college coaches regularly. She's unable to make a prospect day at one of the colleges due to playing in a showcase that weekend so the coach (NAIA school) invited her to come practice with the team. DDs a little anxious about being the only high schooler at a college practice. Anyone have any tips on what she should expect or anything in particular she should do (besides the obvious lay it all out for the ball). Should she wear her travel uniform or a tournament shirt?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Get er done!!! Line drives and dives!!! Do Not be the girls that sits back and waits for things to happen. Be first or third in line and tell her to engage with the college players.

Aug 9, 2021
May be hard for her to grasp, but tell her to enjoy the moment and be a sponge. She may be as good as if not better than some of those players, so she should have some confidence going into it. Not the same, but I remember sending my then 13yo DD to her first practice with an 18U team that asked her to come practice and how nervous she was (she typically doesn't get nervous). But after striking out a couple batters, making some plays at first, and getting a few good hits, she was very excited to go practice with the girls "who drove themselves to practice." Good luck!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This exact scenario is what got my DD recruited. What started out as a campus visit and tour turned into bring your physical papers and gear, you're going to be participating in a team scrimmage! :oops: :oops::oops:

She has never played soooo far above her head as she did that day, my wife said she couldn't get mine or Anna's head in the car afterwards!

As MNDad said, be LOUD, look like you belong there, as if you're already on the team. And smile, look like you're having more fun than any other girl there! Lay it all out, MAKE the coaches look at you!

Aug 29, 2016
My DD had received an invite to a NAIA camp (2 days). We couldn't make day 1, but they still wanted her to show up for day 2 (scrimmages with a mix of current players and prospects). As was said before, drives and dives. Didn't have a great day at the plate, but hit 1 out and dove for several balls in the OF. Coach kept her behind after camp and she was offered later that week. Its a program that has been competitive, but I'm also fairly certain her club team would beat them head to head. Either way, it was a great experience, just wasn't the right fit.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you can do it on the down low I would try to watch a practice before hand see what she is in for.

She is going in with an advantage, she cares and other players might be going through the motions.

She will be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles