Pop up times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
What is the average pop up time?

My 10 year old was consistant at 2.29 today during her lesson and her coach seemed very happy with that. It did make me curious as to how she compared to others her age and older.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Interesting question. My DD is 14 and is consistent 1.93. A D1 coach from a conference championship team that played in the WCWS told my DD yesterday that they don't really look at Pop Time as much as we would think. That's not the same everywhere but it was interesting to hear.

At 10U time is of little value to me as long as she is throwing runners out and her technique is good. Work on quick transition and feet. 2.29 was faster than 4 catchers that I timed at the college showcamp we attended yesterday. These were 12-18 year olds. So I would say she's doing just fine.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The reason coaches discount pop times is that they are somewhat subjective and certainly not a measurement of actual catching ability. Comparing pop times from one catcher to another is akin to nailing jello to the wall as there are so many variables that the times become somewhat useless. Video her in a game and then use the frame count to calculate her pop time. Keep it to yourself and use it as a tool to help her improve. The video will tell you what she does in the real world although the experiencing will most likely be quite humbling. :)

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
I agree with Riseball not as important as mechanics and accurate throws. Good advice from him pop time don't matter unless there are runners in live situations. The fastest runners will almost never be thrown out. Throwing runners out 30% of the time is very, very good. With that said, the 2 catchers (18 year olds) that were just signed off my TB / HS team to both play at NCAA D1 and D2 level popped in the low 1.6's at showcase skills events this summer. The faster pop time catcher is playing D2 due to her academics and totality of her scholarship. Most college coaches look for 1.7's to 1.8's to keep teams honest. Both are superior athletes, and have exceptional arms, footwork and transitions. I would think that 2.29 is a good time for the age group. Work on throwing from the ear quick and short. Practice, practice, practice. Times will come. Lots a things effect times. Pitcher, shortstop, runner all make times change. Good luck

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Catching Math

1) The runner cannot leave the base until the ball leaves the pitchers hand.

2) A pitch thrown at 55mph takes less than .5 seconds to reach the catcher (1st pop).

3) Catcher throws and gets ball to 2nd base in 1.6 seconds (2nd pop).

4) .5 + 1.6 = 2.1 so runner must cover 60 feet in less than 2.1 seconds in order to be safe.

Something does not quite add up. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Catching Math

2) A pitch thrown at 55mph takes less than .5 seconds to reach the catcher (1st pop).

4) .5 + 1.6 = 2.1 so runner must cover 60 feet in less than 2.1 seconds in order to be safe.

One reason = middle infielder positioning and/or tag technique. Catching the ball in front of the bag and sweeping the glove back for a tag (or a missed tag) v. catching the ball at the bag and dropping the glove straight down = 0.5+ seconds easy.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One reason = middle infielder positioning and/or tag technique. Catching the ball in front of the bag and sweeping the glove back for a tag (or a missed tag) v. catching the ball at the bag and dropping the glove straight down = 0.5+ seconds easy.

Even with .5 for a tag the vast majority of runners would be out and stats say the opposite. At 2.1 seconds the ball is getting to the middle infielder with the runner at least 10 feet from the base. My point is that the pop times claimed by many never show under actual game situations. In a game you have to catch a full speed pitch with movement low in the zone, not a ball flipped from a coach high to your throwing side. Pop times only show what you can do on a pitch out, not a real pitch.

Dec 19, 2012

Or, in the case of my dd's HS team, the MI not even getting to the base in time to receive the throw.

When taking pop to pop times, the time measurement should be taken during a game receiving a fastball in the strike zone. That way the catcher can't cheat. A good rule of thumb concerning pop to pop times:

1.6 and under - Olympic Level
1.7 to 1.8 - Top Collegiate
1.9 to 2.1 - Average College
2.2 to 2.3 - Average High School
2.4 to 2.5 - Average Middle School

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Or, in the case of my dd's HS team, the MI not even getting to the base in time to receive the throw.

When taking pop to pop times, the time measurement should be taken during a game receiving a fastball in the strike zone. That way the catcher can't cheat. A good rule of thumb concerning pop to pop times:

1.6 and under - Olympic Level
1.7 to 1.8 - Top Collegiate
1.9 to 2.1 - Average College
2.2 to 2.3 - Average High School
2.4 to 2.5 - Average Middle School

The actions of the MI are moot unless the ball is in centerfield when the runner gets to the bag. Otherwise the throw is too late. And why a fastball for a strike? I can see maybe not using a rise up in the zone. But why not a drop ball low in the zone? We teach our runners to look for something headed low in the zone preferably to the glove side of the catcher. The know that unless the situation dictates a hold they are "green on a down ball."

Pop time ares valuable tool only in the context of a single session. Comparing catchers times from different settings is simply not possible because there are no accepted standards for measurement. As such these times are by and large discounted by college coaches. You may have noticed that over the past couple of years college showcases have abandoned home to first times in favor of a timed 60 yard sprint. Even then there is no accepted standard for when to start the watch. Do you yell go or do you start it on the athletes first movement? The difference can be significant.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Catching Math

#2 is wrong and should not be involved. Pop time is the time it hits the catchers glove to the time it hits the fielder at 2nd. Basically #3 is your pop time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283