*POLL~14u~whats your opinion on mandatory...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

mandatory lessons response

• yes hitting reasonable request

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • no hitting unreasonable request

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • yes pitching reasonable

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • no pitching unreasonable

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • yes catching reasonable

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • no catching unreasonable

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • yes all is reasonable

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • no all unreasonable request

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2015
Do we think the team is just trying to make sure the players are doing their work at home and making the assumption that most parents are not qualified or invested enough to be their child's instructor. I mean squish that bug honey or just throw strikes. On our national team its clear that our kids should be working on their own. One girls dad is an ex MLB player and runs his own hitting business. Obviously she doesn't see a hitting instructor. Our daughter surpassed our ability to teach her long ago despite being very invested. She has a hitting instructor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020
As a parent of a pitcher, I would have to go back to when she was 7 years old to find a week where she didn't have at least 1 pitching lesson. She also throws at least 4 of the 5 weekdays every week, sometimes it's just a bucket or two, sometimes it's long toss. Currently she has organizational pitching workouts on Mondays for 3 hours and pitching and hitting lessons on Tuesday for an hour then 2 hours at the academy hitting, pitching and running, then on Thursday she goes and throws at the house
Every team she has been on since she started travel in 10U the players had to have weekly lessons. And most of the teams had mandatory speed and conditioning classes.
One team even had planner log books that the girls took to the weekly speed and conditioning classes and the coaches would check the book, read notes from their private lessons instructors or leave notes in for what the player needed to work on for the next week. It was about accountability to themselves and their teammates.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2019
Heres another mandatory topic
Whats your opinion on
Player must have an instructor and lesson weekly?
First year 14u travel ball.

ALL players must have atleast one hitting lesson with an instructor of your choice weekly.
ALL players must additionally hit atleast two times weekly.

Pitchers and Catchers
must go to an instructor of their choice and have atleast one lesson weekly.
Pitchers must throw atleast two workouts additionally weekly.
Funny!! You pay all this money for the organization and now they want you to spend more on outside training so they don't have to do as much work on coaching their team up. But if you know this in the beginning then it's on you.

Apr 8, 2019
These are good points, but those things can be managed in other ways as well. I'm not sure how other areas work, but there are several different layers of travel ball in PA.

DD began her career on a low B team. It was mostly girls from local schools. She had a great time and developed some friendships that are still active. The primary goal of most of those players was to play high school ball.

She eventually moved to a bigger team, let's say high B / low A. This team encompassed players from a larger area. Most had the goal of playing in college.

She enjoyed both teams and still has friends from both. They had different goals and different expectations, and both were perfectly fine. I was actually an assistant coach for both teams and gradually became the head coach for the 2nd team. Honestly, I enjoyed my time with both groups and still have friends among the parents from both teams. My point is that either option is fine. It's a matter of finding what the best fit is for your particular player.

This all said, if DD wanted to join a particular team and she was told about the video or private coach requirement ahead of time, the decision would still be hers. If she wanted to do it, I would support her decision. It simply isn't something I would require if I was the coach. I allow my players to compete for playing time. Those that truly want the playing time will work at it. Those that don't, won't.
Exactly

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Funny!! You pay all this money for the organization and now they want you to spend more on outside training so they don't have to do as much work on coaching their team up. But if you know this in the beginning then it's on you.
Thats a good perspective topic.
Meaning
Some people think/rely on coaches to teach everything.
Reality is most travel coaches cannot teach pitching.
Nor catching. Technical teaching.
Maybe hitting. Yes some can teach hitting.

However how much time does a coach have to detail techincal time helping each batter?

Individual goals play a tremendous amount of decision making.

The technical aspects of these lessons are more individualized usually to each players needs.

Apr 8, 2019
Thats a good perspective topic.
Meaning
Some people think/rely on coaches to teach everything.
Reality is most travel coaches cannot teach pitching.
Nor catching. Technical teaching.
Maybe hitting. Yes some can teach hitting.

However how much time does a coach have to detail techincal time helping each batter?

Individual goals play a tremendous amount of decision making.

The technical aspects of these lessons are more individualized usually to each players needs.
Very true. But do you pay all this money to just play in tournaments or to be coached up? Yes, but you're trying to force players to pay for extra training. Like I said, if you know to front no problem

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Very true. But do you pay all this money to just play in tournaments or to be coached up?

Yes, but you're trying to force players to pay for extra training. Like I said, if you know to front no problem
What is your goal will answer that.

Best thing travel ball generally has options of teams to chose from.

Also to the money perspective.
Everyone as a group is paying together thousands of dollars just to play.
How much is that investment worth?
Then ask
How much does private instruction add to the cost and investment to the goal?

Eventually softball talent defines what teams people play on.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
This is exactly how you price kids out of playing the sport.

Talent does not equate to whether they are seeing a hitting/pitching coach. What if you have a stud pitcher who's family can't afford a weekly instructor? Are they automatically not playing for you?

Parents should not have to choose debt in order to have their kids play sports.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is exactly how you price kids out of playing the sport.

Talent does not equate to whether they are seeing a hitting/pitching coach. What if you have a stud pitcher who's family can't afford a weekly instructor? Are they automatically not playing for you?

Parents should not have to choose debt in order to have their kids play sports.
That would only happen if every team had the same family financial obligations.
They dont tho.
Good there are teams that have fundraising.
And the lower team due's type teams.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06