Please Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2010
33m77k9.gif

1zf0aky.gif

Turn the barrel to the ball.

OK, ChuckC and turnthebarrel gurus--The most striking contrast I see is:
- model swing is hips first, shoulders follow, and hands remain near the shoulder until shoulders have significantly rotated. That's good.
- dd's swing is hands go first, then shoulders, then hips. The hands move away from the shoulders immediately. That's not what you want.

Turnthebarrel guys--for the model swing, am I describing turning the barrel? FFS made me a little smarter last week but I'm still not confident I grok the concept.

Agree with "You may be finding what a lot of us have found for ourselves - a lot of "coaches" that don't know very much" - Even if you find your dd great coaching, the only person who will take time to video her and look at her swings frame by frame to make sure she keeps doing it right is you. IMO, you've come to a great place to get advice.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
- model swing is hips first, shoulders follow, and hands remain near the shoulder until shoulders have significantly rotated. That's good.
This will cause a hitter to swing 'around' their body. I want my hitter to swing 'out' from their body.
Manny is swinging 'out' from his body.
MannyOutFrom.gif

Hands do not follow the rotating shoulders out of the hitting zone.
Mannyswivel.gif

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
OK, ChuckC and turnthebarrel gurus--The most striking contrast I see is:
- dd's swing is hands go first, then shoulders, then hips. The hands move away from the shoulders immediately. That's not what you want.

Turnthebarrel guys--for the model swing, am I describing turning the barrel? FFS made me a little smarter last week but I'm still not confident I grok the concept.

Agree with "You may be finding what a lot of us have found for ourselves - a lot of "coaches" that don't know very much" - Even if you find your dd great coaching, the only person who will take time to video her and look at her swings frame by frame to make sure she keeps doing it right is you. IMO, you've come to a great place to get advice.

Dude, you are going to be screwed soon. People are going to be saying in person and on here "she has a great swing!" and you are going to see her/his "giddy up" bat speed isn't behind em, or instantly see/feel they are not launching from behind a corner.
Goldschmidt_side3.gif

My pick for 2014 ^^^^^

Your bs detector will develop and then the trouble really starts.

Side note: I see that "thanks" in there Clifton, glad to see you are around.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good example Rdbass. Certainly a pitch low in the zone .... yet as we watch Ortiz's top hand and barrel tip .... we see that he's turning the barrel to the ball.

21b0mtl.gif

Very different from this here, where the hands are lowered in a faulty leveling approach without the barrel being turned to the ball.

1zf0aky.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Quick drill ( I know live pitching is better) to help get the feel on 'what a hitter can do to get down to a low pitch'. Set the tee low, a little lower than the knee. Practice turning the barrel to the ball. Then move on to live/pitch machine with low pitched balls.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rdbass, this issue isn't going to be addressed with tee work. The issue isn't that the young lady isn't capable of turning the barrel, it is that she has a faulty leveling approach that she turns on as she "reads the pitch". That leveling approach needs to be addressed. There is no "reading of the pitch" off of tee work.

Sure, introduce the concept of turning the barrel, while finding the ball, through tee work ... but quickly move on to a moving ball ... where a player then must match up their leveling approach with their "reading of the pitch".

Apr 2, 2013
Just thinking out loud though, I'm wondering if the turn the barrel can be mastered more on a tee where I can video her and look to see if she is starting with her hips and bringing things around without her dropping the bat to level with the ball. Create muscle memory and slowly work into lower and higher pitches making sure the same form is used? Until this video was slowed down and a comparison was made I would have sworn up and down that she never dropped the bat to get level with the ball like that. If I take the time to video her and slow things down, in some drills but mostly on video, to see if her form is right wouldn't I get the results we are looking for whether it's off of a tee or tossed to her?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283