Please Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The concept can certainly be introduced via tee work, but this particular issue occurs because she is attempting to level to the ball AS she is "reading the pitch". Girls with this issue can learn to perform good healthy tee swings ... they can perform high-tee swings until the cows come home ... but since they are not "reading the pitch" as they swing, they haven't solved the real issue ... and the real issue is with the leveling process as one "reads the pitch".

Tee swings are often overdone to solve issues. Tee swings do have a place ... but to truly develop a hitter, and to get them through issues like this, you need to go beyond tee swings and develop the swing while the ball is pitched.

We're not far apart, I think. Part of the "leveling process" is related to a movement pattern where the barrel is dropped flat behind the shoulder before the swing is launched (DBSF). Learning how to turn the barrel properly requires re-programming the body to move in a different pattern of movements. Tee work can be a big help (IMO) in focusing on programming the new movement pattern without the pressure of adapting to pitch location. I definitely agree that tee work can be - and often is - overdone.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
but I can't see any other way to go get this pitch...
33m77k9.gif

1zf0aky.gif

Turn the barrel to the ball.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
It looks like she gets the barrel below her hands to go get. How should she swing at this pitch? If you're going to swing at something this low... I see what you are saying about her hands dropping at launch but I can't see any other way to go get this pitch...

Her position at contact isn't bad. How she got there is the issue we're examining. The hand drop before launch is one of the factors that will reduce her power through contact.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
There is a step in between Tee work and front toss full swings. Its call stop at contact. As her tee swings become more fluid, and consistent. Move her to front toss and stopping at contact. Thats where she can see the barrel turn and square on the ball in real time and not take full hacks letting her old mechanics break thru and destroy her swing. Once you have found where contact is and after the swing to contact is made, have her freeze like a statue and then her and her instructor can then discuss what ever issue needs to be resolved. Take your time, dont take short cuts, let the fundamentals become muscle memory before taking full rips.

I have found this to be very helpful to 2 groups especially, younger players with no previous mechanical coaching and older students that have have had bad instruction. It lets them see what they are trying to accomplish when the ball is moving vs a stationary tee.

Tim

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
Thanks for the visual aid. I see it now. The hands dropping toward the point of contact happens as part of the process not as part of the launch or before launch... Hopefully I said that right.

Apr 2, 2013
The hand drop before launch is one of the factors that will reduce her power through contact.

Yes, and that's the one big thing that we have been concerned with. A lot of this goes hand in hand with what her batting instructor was trying to work with her on. However she had to take some time off and we haven't found anyone in our area that we feel is on the same level and for that matter on the same page with what she needs to improve on. All of this has gotten me to understand better of what she was looking for.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes, and that's the one big thing that we have been concerned with. A lot of this goes hand in hand with what her batting instructor was trying to work with her on. However she had to take some time off and we haven't found anyone in our area that we feel is on the same level and for that matter on the same page with what she needs to improve on. All of this has gotten me to understand better of what she was looking for.

You may be finding what a lot of us have found for ourselves - a lot of "coaches" that don't know very much, or teach stuff that is flat-out awful. Like a lot of us, the best option might be to educate yourself on hitting, and take the reins on her progress from here forward. Being that she's not a youngster, she can get involved in the education so she understands the how and why of the process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283